Drank again

I have a really high pressure job and I’m ‘blowing off Steam’ by drinking which escalates to 10 drinks throwing up and taking time off work. I’m so sick of being this way. I’m clearly not a very strong person…ugh. I want to be free from this

4 Likes

Maybe try a meeting not for everyone wish you well

4 Likes

It’s addiction. I could always find an excuse to drink. Once I finally got serious and honest with myself. I haven’t found a great enough reason to escape. I don’t know if you just quit drinking or if you are actually doing things that promote recovery. But I’m telling you Recovery feels great. Abstinence sucked every day for me.

7 Likes

The only thing standing between “you” and “freedom”, is “you”.

I became free once I exercised the self-discipline to deny myself permission to take the first drink. I realized I have 100% control over the decision as to whether or not to take the first drink. If I chose to drink, then I have surrendered control to alcohol. If I chose not to drink, then alcohol has no power over me.

I just successfully faced a test. I was at a business conference. Lot’s of opportunities to drink, and the booze was free. Many vendors wanting to garner favor by buying me drinks. I chose not to drink. Then my return flight got canceled due to weather. Had to take a round-about route back, which involved many hours in airports, plus more on a plane. Lot’s of opportunities to drink, and I could expense it. I chose not to drink. I have a “high pressure job”…corporate sales. Lot’s of pressure to make numbers. I could use this as an excuse, and drink, or I could take a walk or go hit the heavy bag for a bit. I choose not to drink.

Plenty of excuses to drink. I just refused to accept any of them. I remain 100% in control of my sobriety, because it is important. 110 days since I last gave myself permission to drink.

Discipline = Freedom

If it is important, we will find a way. If it isn’t, we will find an excuse.

20 Likes

I don’t know what your “really high pressure” job is so I won’t presume to know anything…but keep in mind that those 10 drinks are likely adding to that stress. I know it does for me. It can very quickly become a snowball rolling down a mountain.

8 Likes

I’m in the same boat man maybe we need new jobs, good luck though

1 Like

You are totally right.
Got alot self worth issues I need to work on because I think right now I feel I don’t deserve to be healthy and happy and so this vicious cycle of drinking continues. Theres an element of self sabotage there. Also it’s misguided of me to use drink to deal with stress and mental health issues when its making both worse. I have alot of work to do. I’m considering paying for a physciatrist because my own doctor has been no use for my mental health issues or drink problems.
Thank you for the reply

1 Like

Yup you are right the drinks and my behaviour when intoxicated are definately adding to the stress not to mention impacting my job. Things are very easy to get out of hand. I’m not drinking tonight and my boyfriend keeps asking if I am having a beer. He knows I have been struggling with my addiction I don’t know if he knows the reality of it or how hard it is to not pick up some beers when that craving voice is in your head.

Could I ask about some of the things you have been doing to which work to promote recovery?

There is only one “You”. Just as no two diamonds are the same, you are unique. You deserve to be as happy and healthy as you can possibly be, and you have a tremendous ability to determine your level of success in this regard. Get up, and get after it!

3 Likes

Well my recovery is a work in progress still. Right at 15 months. Early on I was doing everything I could to be the better person I wanted. So that’s why I joined this forum. It helps to have a place to get those toxic thoughts out. Educate yourself on addiction. Even if you disagree with some points of an authors opinion there will be knowledge gained. I am a huge fan of AA. The meetings are where my people are. We all be screwed😜. SMART and Women for Sobriety are two more programs. Exercise was huge, it clears the mind. Meditation and I’m the worst at it. Surrounding yourself with the right support. Early on it’s a full time job trying to deal with our own crap. I’m serious about that it’s a full time job. Soon you will find a groove and life will get better. And then you’ll wonder when will this go away. And yes it does have some rough periods but don’t stay trapped in that thinking. Change the channel in your mind. There’s a whole community right here at your fingertips that can listen and guess what you sharing the good, bad and ugly will help others. So get ready to find a new you. And Im guessing you will like it. 15 months ago I was a friggen mess. But I found several others that shared my story in their own lives and found happiness. I wanted that. Didn’t think it would be possible for me. But damn I have it now too. And I get to share my hope, strength and courage with you now. It’s miserable being trapped in addiction BUT you don’t have to be. And there’s several hands reaching out to help you up now. Best wishes.

6 Likes

My profession is renowned for having people with drinking problems and mental health issues. Thankfully, the industry recognizes the fact that one in three have alcohol related issues and provide a lot of support for those that need it. In my field, the problem usually starts in university and continues undetected throughout the person’s career. Sadly, it is a silent killer.

I changed careers after almost 20 years in the ICT sector into Law. I was honest enough to admit my issues were with me before the change, so I feel this industry problem doesn’t apply to me - I have it under control with 203 days and counting! In fact the transition saved my life by changing the way I think and see the world. I have been in my not so newish role for almost 8 years and I love it. Of course there is a lot of pressure and it is highly competitive, but it is the part of the job where we have the capacity to provide certainty to an uncertain situation, which I adore. Test yourself as to whether you are happy in your role.

Look within your industry for help, you may find they already recognise an existing problem within the workforce and could offer help and guidance.

We are merely performers within our roles of employment, so we need to make sure our personal qualities fit with the task at hand. Your body is obviously crying out for help. A job is not worth risking your heath over. Wishing you all the best.

1 Like

I see your point I really do, I have worked in my job for about 6 years (in telecoms complaints) and I have progressively seen the place get worse and and worse whilst I work harder and harder to keep my colleagues afloat, to carry those shitty colleagues that are lazy, every day I feel the need to drink myself to sleep (which I know is ultimately my choice and my fault) I do however acknowledge that when I was a simple checkouts girl in a supermarket I had none of these urges. An addicts brains needs triggers to cure and I am feeling I have too many of those right now. No amount of meditation and water is fixing that (I tried)

Besides the shitty colleagues do you enjoy what your doing?
I just recently got this new job after beating alot of other applicants and having several rounds of interviews I was so happy to get it I do enjoy it but it is very stressful and some of my colleagues behaviour making it more so. I allready had a problem with drink to be perfectly honest I think the work pressure has just became another trigger for me

203 days wow I bet your feeling great! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Congrats that sounds great I don’t know if I enjoy it anymore I am just very good at it. I love most of my colleagues it just. Makes me angry that I carry these wastes of space that get paid the same as me I think. I mean besides that the basic job is stressful. The highlight of my shift is those fag breaks or those beers after the shift. (my call center is across the road from a banging pub) I struggle the triggers are everywhere however I am cutting down slowly, I’m down from like 15 a day to about 8 and counting, tomorrow its 7 and I already quit the smoking so I feel a little bit positive

2 Likes

Hi chad, appreciate the reply. How often would you attend AA meetings? 15 months is amazing! I am educating myself on addiction at the moment I’m reading Allen Carr’s book and then I plan to read some more books if you have any recommendations? Even you tube videos would be great. I’m pleased to hear you are doing so well and have found happiness in your sobriety. I am the only one who can dig me out of this hole right now!

Thank you @Yoda-Stevie :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi pal. I’m just gonna go off a few things my friend @Chad_R said. He said his people are at AA. That couldn’t be more true for me too. Other people in our lives just do t understand our struggles. For them it’s as simple as “just don’t drink”. Ha. If only it was that easy for us. They can’t possibly understand what we are going thru and we can’t expect them too. So while we can lean on family and friends for some kinds of support, we can never get what we get from another alcoholic.

There is a magic that happens when we share our expirience, strength and hope with other alcoholic/addicts. Only they can understand the chaotic mess that is going on inside our heads. They understand because they’ve been there. They understand the complete demoralization we can feel at times. And they have advice and solutions.

Another part of the magic is getting out of our own heads. If we have some “Stinkin Thinkin” going on then it’s crucial to get out of that train of thought. We can cook up some doozys in our minds man. Be it self loathing or maybe rationalizing a drink. It’s all bad if we stay in that place in our minds. So we phone another alcoholic and tell them what’s going on. Coming here works too. Usually we can get a different perspective and get out of own heads.

There’s much more of course. I just know that for me to stay sober and stay sane, I need to surround myself with people like me. Because if I’m left inside my head and doing everything my way then I’m doomed. I tried that for a long time and it got me here. Now I chose to stay close to my people.

3 Likes

I have a high pressure job/environment and can completely relate. One thing I did for myself was find a counselor that specialized in alcohol. We actually didn’t really focus on my drinking at all because my issue seemed to be more about my “coping” skills (or lack thereof). It has definitely 1000% helped me stay sober, even on the toughest days. I would suggest trying to find a counselor like this if you need help/support. Good luck to you!

5 Likes