Drank by myself…… again

Another night where I was downing cans by myself.
I feel disgusting

7 Likes

We’ve all done it at some point. Try not to beat yourself up about it. What was going through your head when you bought the cans? That’s where you can work on making sure it doesn’t happen again.

2 Likes

Been there done that. Many many times. It wasn’t until I realized I couldn’t solve this alone, that I could do something about it. Alone it’s too much. Alone we drink. Together we can be sober. One day at a time. Hope to see you here more. Let’s talk. Wishing you all success friend.

8 Likes

I know that feeling. Every morning for the past ~3 years it’s been my first thought. I’m 5 days in now and I’ve gotta say, out of all the feelings I’ve had the past 120 hours, not waking up that way has been a massive relief. I’m not proud yet…but also not disgusted with myself. Stay strong.

9 Likes

Well, it took me a 1000 sober days to really feel proud about it. And say it too. Let me tell you I’m proud of you today. Five days sober is a massive achievement after years of that. Keep going and welcome to the forum.

3 Likes

Welcome! Anytime you get an urge come here. It’s a safe space to get advice, encouragement and help. I find myself visiting throughout the day. While social media can drain us, I find scrolling through TS helpful, positive and uplifting.

6 Likes

I know that feeling all too well as I’m sure a lot if us here do. But waking up sober after a night of no drinks feels awesome. We are here for you. You got this. Take it slow in the beginning and don’t look too far into the future. Take it slow, one hour at a time and come on here for support. You got this.

3 Likes

Sometimes they just go down so easy… Did you break a dry streak?

1 Like

Yep, I hear you. I would drink cans of hard lemonade in front of the computer, imagining myself in whatever music video or drama I was watching, totally out of my own life. It can be different from tomorrow. You never have to feel that way again.

4 Likes

Big Sigh. . Yup, me too. Had 10 day AF while taking care of my MOm. Went home and yes, once alone again, went back to drinking. Told myself the lie that it would just be one or two. … no such thing for me. I am not back to Day 2. Another day, another opportunity to not pick up the can, bottle, glass. One moment at a time.

1 Like

Welcome to the club! There is a better life waiting for you…and everyone of us is here to help. What things are you doing to keep sober?

2 Likes

I made a point of never keeping booze in the house, would only drink socially. And the decline started. Difficult to pinpoint why. But that was the point things spiralled. Hiding the booze is the next step, denial. Awful. And that’s the tip of the fucking iceberg!
If you’ve seriously had enough (and that’s a difficult thing to assess), you need a plan. And the resolve to stick to it. Try AA? What’s to lose. Join the gym? If it’s too expensive, jogging. If your health’s not too good, walks - LONG walks. Cinema, get a hobby, join a club, go swimming.
Just don’t sit on your own, clock watching, waiting to give in. If you are stuck in the house, read - read everything, get an indoor hobby, stay on TS, for hours if neccesary (I did initially), do yoga, meditate, ring family, if not, ring friends, if not… you get the message.
If you’re ready, give it a try - give it ALL a try - you just might amaze yourself!

7 Likes

Glad you’re here. Most of the drinking I did was by myself too. Or alone with my toddler, sounds so shitty to say!! But I’m not drinking today and I’m hoping to continue to stay sober so I don’t have to have the guilt or shame anymore. How can we help each other today?

3 Likes

Take it one day at a time. You are not alone :orange_heart:

2 Likes

For me it was thousands of Nights Where I said I wasn’t going to drink. Or I would say it to myself all day. Then nighttime would come and I would have any number of rationalization or Excuses. Mostly just like other people said it’s really hard to do by yourself. Also I would say ridiculous things like I’m just going to get a 32 ounce, Or a couple airplane shots. But once I get that first little bit in me I’m walking up to the store five times that night… And yeah and then the dreadful morning comes. start over today. I’m sure there is simple steps you can take right now to start getting back on track. You don’t have to do anything crazy or look too far into the future right now… keep things simple. Water and food and reaching out on here. Have to get some kind of plan in place for night time because that’s when the cravings for me at least used to come the most … I just got tired of dealing with those mornings and eventually got to the point where I needed alcohol every single morning … I guess you have to get realistic with that drink what is it really going to do? Do you really need it? Just try to get through today and do whatever you have to do to stay away from that drink. It will get easier. Also I will say early on for me sugar helped a lot.

2 Likes

We have all been there. I love my alone time. It used to be when I did my best drinking. No judgement! Now I love it because I can do whatever I want and no hangover.
See if you can find something else that you want to do instead. Workout? Watch a movie? Make art or music? .
Or,do something you have been putting off, like cleaning.

1 Like

Wishing you some peace I had experience some of those failures before.forgive yourself and start afresh again. Wishing you a mind of tranquility and peace.

How are you doing today @Cat21?