Drank once and it was okay

This is an interesting topic. Let me play devils advocate. I do believe some people can be free of their addiction once they get a hang of their depression prescribed by a healthcare professional. That being said, i have a successful degree and career all accomplished while drinking myself silly.

So in my humble perspective only you would know if you can. I could visit my parents and have 2 beers, go with work mates and just have 2 beers then randomly without planning it get completely shitfaced at home alone. In my example i could simply never predict which day i was going to ignite.

Everyone has valid points here, guess you will need to work it out for yourself. For me, i know full and well if i have another drop i just rinse and repeat all my previous bad choices

5 Likes

Thanks to everyone for the responses, and I hope my response didn’t hurt anyone. the last thing I want to is to cause someone to relapses. This question I always struggled with and this forum has been so open and helpful in the past. I always want to clarify I wasn’t using my degree and career to qualify myself. I was saying that’s what happened to me during this period of a year that really helped my mental health.

I understand and respect all your choices. Just want to say thanks, I might not like to hear every post, but it definitely made and is making me think.

13 Likes

That’s where I am too. I have depression that I blamed my alcohol problems on but even with that in a better place I still drink every drop in sight. It’s how I’m wired and always has been.

5 Likes

If I could climb outta the hole Im in and get strong enough I wouldnt dare temp myself to come back to living like this. I cant even make it 3 days without hitting the reset button but Im still trying. Have had this app for years and finally got back on here today. My advice to you would be not to try it, it will suck you back in and you end up starting all over again.

9 Likes

Thanks! You got it, this app and community are amazing. There is help if you need it. Again thanks for the advice!

2 Likes

My sobriety is THE most important part of my life. Without it, I have nothing. Protect it with all you have.

7 Likes

I reckon I could control my drinking. For about 10 minutes :joy:

The fact that anybody has to consciously control something so things don’t get out of hand says its a problem

I’m an alcoholic, I can’t control shit.

10 Likes

I love this.

So so so much.

1 Like

Similar to others have said I can only talk from my experience and sobriety and addictions are personal to everyone.

I used to be an alcoholic, then I decided I wasn’t. Then I was again. Then I wasn’t. Then I could control my drinking, then I couldn’t. Then I could drink spirits only but not beer, then I couldn’t. Then I could only drink red wine, then I couldn’t. Then I was an alcoholic… You get the idea.

It’s for you to decide if you’ve got a problem. I wish I gave up altogether years ago but it’s a journey. Sometimes you have to go through the pain to realise it is a problem. I wish I didn’t, I wish I stopped earlier but everything builds up the affirmation.

If you think you can control your drinking then great. Just remember though, people who don’t have a problem don’t have to control anything, they just stop drinking.

7 Likes

Bingo. I have a great job and happen to black out on the weekend. Or during the week…

Horrible double life but I’m a star at work. If I manage to stop after a couple drinks it’s sheer luck. I always end up losing. That is enough to get myself into AA, before I meet disaster because I’ve certainly dodged many bullets.

5 Likes

I have ptsd and when I drank my life was completely unmanageable. Once I have had some sobriety under my belt my mental health improves. The last time I relapsed I realized I am 100% powerless over ANY mind altering substances. I am much better off being sober. I’m almost 6 months clean and take things one day at a time. I have a great treatment center I’m dedicated to for 2 years. I attend AA meetings on a regular basis and have an excellent sponsor that I trust 100%. I’ve made some authentic friendships and live a life of recovery. The support group I have is awesome. I met one of the greatest friends in recovery that has a different doc and we keep each other on the right path. She’s become my best friend😀. We keep one another solid.

3 Likes