Dreaded friday

Fridays are always a trigger for me and today will be even worse as i know im going to have to have a difficult conversation with someone im trying to keep thinking ahead as to how ill feel tomorrow when i wake up if i drink but my minds constantly arguing with itself and i know as the day goes on it will only get worse

1 Like

Difficult conversations suck. But having a drink won’t make it any easier. If you drink before the difficult conversation then your prefrontal cortex won’t be able to help you be reasonable and rational. It will likely make the outcome of the difficult conversation worse. If you drink after it won’t change the outcome of the conversation.

What do you usually do on a Friday? What could you do instead? Is there something else you could do to treat yourself/relax after a difficult day? Drive somewhere with beautiful scenery and have a cake, have a hot bubble bath, call a friend and do something different (bowling, watch a movie), go for a walk/run/swim/cycle. Read a recovery book/listen to a recovery podcast. And get an early night! There’s no rule that says you have to stay up late at the weekend. Early night means early morning and more of tomorrow to make the most of :blush:

I also find playing the tape to the end helpful, I know exactly what drinking alcohol will do to me and it’s maybe fun for the first hour but after that at least a day of misery. I know my Friday is better without it!

Do you do any meditation? I like to have a plan but I can be a massive overthinker and it is important to just take it moment some times. We can’t change the past, we can’t control the future, all we can do anything about it what’s happening right now.

4 Likes

You can reshape your thiking. Try "Fridays don’t suck, this day i will trigger my sobriety ".

Have that conversation, and stay radically in the moment. It is how I have gotten through such times in the past. I sort of watch myself going into the room with the person, closing the door and talking. The conversation may be difficult and I may feel shame or confusion. But I go in knowing it will not last forever. And I pray first. Going to an AA meeting after can be a safety net for me. Good luck to you. Blessings on your house. :pray:

6 Likes

Thank you for your replys :slight_smile: half the day to go still arguing with myself but this will sound silly but ive stuck sticky notes in my car telling me no as it will be on my drive home ill want to drive to the shop and i go past 2 on my way home! So i am going to focus on getting home getting a nice bath have some tea and get to bed early and watch a film :slight_smile: wish me luck!

7 Likes

I found going to a meeting helped me stay sober met sober people i could lift the phone to when i felt a trigger coming on wish you well

1 Like

Great idea! I’m going to steal it. You have a good plan, and that’s so important. You will be able to have this conversation from a sane, rational place, come home to enjoy your bath, and wake up to a sober, proud Saturday. I’m glad you reached out to talk it through.

1 Like

Good luck, Fridays and Saturdays used to be my trigger days, now I do my CBT on a Friday afternoon which helps to keep me grounded, this week I am so tired from doing my CBT activities which involved planing my week of activities including exercise that I’m actually looking forward to sleep :sleeping:

Fridays have always been my trigger, just walked past people sat in the sunshine outside a pub, sipping large glasses of wine, I looked at them and thought “it would be nice, but I don’t need that” and strolled on by, thinking a nice orange and lemonade with ice would be just as nice and refreshing and my sobriety will be intact. Now home, going for a relaxing bath, will watch a movie and the night will pass till tomorrow. Feel relaxed having made the decision, sometimes the struggle is the indecision. Happy Friday everyone, stay strong :muscle:

4 Likes

Great idea!!! Can you take a different route home too? Sometimes that tricks our brain as well. I like to put my coins in my car too to remind myself if I’m triggered. Sticky notes are a great idea.

1 Like

I had sticky notes in my car, my pockets, my house, my desk. My pockets. I needed the reasons I was doing this right in my face at times when I had a craving, it’s a hard habit to break at first. Weekends were hard. But now they are fantastic!!! I super love my sober weekends! I am not useless battling a hang over or sick, I’m not wondering what I did or said the night before, I’m not worried about the kids and what they are seeing. And, I can do whatever I want because I’m not drinking! I can leave, have friends or family over, go see them, etc. Its fantastic! By the third weekend sober, it started to feel like a new normal for me and got way easier. And, if all else fails, meetings are a great option! Watching addiction videos on YouTube helped me too. Just anything that reaffirms what I’m doing and why. Also getting in here, reading and talking with others helped me more than I ever could fathom. You can do this again today, today you can end your day sober. Know how I know? Because you did it yesterday. Today is just one more day.

2 Likes

Good luck, you got this!!

2 Likes

You will all be pleased to hear i made it home with no divert to the shop! Sober and enjoying a lovely cup of tea!

9 Likes

Yayyyy!!! That’s fantastic news.

1 Like

I know so proud :smiley:

2 Likes

So you should be! I am just putting the kettle on myself :coffee:

Did you find a good film to watch in the end?

1 Like

When I feel triggered I try to look for the company of good friends. If it is not possible walking is my choice. You don’t know who are going to meet…

1 Like

I didnt manage a film i fell asleep instead haha but i had a good nights sleep

1 Like

Haha well you can’t really beat a good sleep and a hangover free Saturday! What have you got on today? Join the sober party weekend!

1 Like

I shall get myself to the sober party weekend!! :smiley:

1 Like

I am going to stay somewhere in the countryside with my friend in their camper van tonight, with a bag of chips and a game of scrabble :first_quarter_moon_with_face: first night of doing this and not drinking, I admit I am very nervous but very much looking forward to waking up clear headed and sober :blush:

2 Likes