Dreaming about drinking every night

After 23 days sober… I’m still dreaming about drinking every single night. Different scenarios… Sometimes I’m hiding the drinking from my partner, ( we are quitting together)…
I often wake up absolutely sure I had drank the night before I feel just as dehydrated and sort of hungover…
It’s bizarre. Any input?

3 Likes

Congratulations! I am only 18 days in after about a 23 year with my drinking “career” I dont have alot collected (advice). But, I can relate to the dreams… I am eating so much candy right now that I feel like I am waking up with a sugar hangover.
My dreams the first week were intense about me wanting to find booze, then they turned to dreams about things I have done in the past while drunk. It’s very scary, both dreams.
I find on day 14 that if I utube guided meditation for quit drinking and for self love it helped my nightmares.
Some of the guided meditations last for 8 hours. Very soothing
Mayne it will work for you as well

First of all, I want to congratulate you with 23 days! Just a couple more for your full month, that’s amazing!

I can relate to having very vivid dreams about using. I had one a couple of nights ago where I was back in a homeless shelter, using with people there, some of them I never saw in my life and some I did. It’s been a while since I had dreams like this though, I can remember in my first couple of weeks I had dreams like this every night.

And (even last time) when I woke up I really had to come back to my senses because I felt and thought it really happened.
My opinion on this subject is, that it is probably a good thing, because your brain is processing. Just take your time and don’t let it scare you to much, allthough I know it feels really horrible!
Keep fighting and going strong!:muscle:t3:

1 Like

I think this is very common and it is just a dream so no harm should be done, but I shit you not I had a plumber come round and he smelt me smoking weed, he said he gave up over 10 years ago but he had the same dream for eight years. Eight years, I forget what it was now, personally I find this quite unbelievable but just putting it out there. I have the craziest, realistic dreams but how do I know this but can never remember what they were about.

I just talked to my substance abuse counselor about my using dreams yesterday. I am 80 days Clean and sober today and this is my 10th try at sobriety but I have never had using dreams like I am have this time. He asked “what’s different if anything thos time that might cause you to have dreams this time?”. I dont know other then I am simply getting more sleep at night then before. I even have dreams where I am just doing really unsavory stuff if they are not using dreams. I had a dream I was walking around with a gun I had stole from a house was stopped by a cop and raised my gun as he did and woke up. He asked “how do you feel when you wake up after the dream?” I alway feel guilty for a while even after I realize it was just a dream. He told me then it’s a positive thing a good reminder of how you will feel if you use. Then he said we both need to worried if you had the dream then woke up like dang it it was just a dream. Anyway I hope we all get a peaceful night rest, and these dreams go away. Thanks you guys.

Its gonna keep happening for a while my friend… Sometimes years. I have dreams of using every night day 87 this time. Keep up the sobriety!