Dreams and alcohol

So ever since I quit drinking recently my dreams have become more vivid and I retain them. That part I understand and makes perfect sense. However not once in my life before have I dreamt about drinking or being drunk. Has anyone had this occur before with their DOC? It was profoundly weird for me. I actually woke up thinking that I had relapsed.

3 Likes

Yip. Brain chemistry is balancing. Perhaps start a dream diary or talk to someone about them. Over time it will balance out to the point where you get accustomed to it. Try praying.

1 Like

Yeah i figured i just thought it was so strange ro actually dream about being drunk. Never in all the years that i was drinking did i ever dream about being in that state. I halfway wondered if that was my body or cravings trying to press the matter of me going without… and i also wondered if anyone specifically had the same occurrence

1 Like

I recently had a dream where I picked up a beer while playing golf. (I dont even play golf) and I remember being part way thru that beer and realizing what I had done. I was upset with myself for having to start my counter over. I’m at day 55 today. Fortunately it was just a dream. I’ll use how upset it made me to be another reason to never pick up again.

3 Likes

Yep, super common! I’ve heard from old-timers in AA that it still occasionally happens to them after years of sobriety.
It’s just a dream - use it as a motivator if you can

2 Likes

This never happened to me the last time I was sober for a stint but I did have a drinking dream a couple nights ago and very much did not enjoy it, lol. Was happy to wake up sober tho!

2 Likes

Thank you all for the insightful responses. @Bheff and @Tess i will try to use it as motivation. All though it wasnt actually tempting as it was weird and discouraging for a brief moment when i thought id reset my days.

@Just_Laura i know! It was a huge relief to wake up knowing id not actually gone through with that. It felt quite real

1 Like

I’m 8 days sober but I had a dream a few days ago I had a party and was offered a drink and proceeded to get wasted. Then I felt like I had woken up and felt so sad that I had done that and actually felt like I had blacked out because I couldn’t remember parts of the dream. Like my brain fully reenacted the whole situation lol. Then I woke up for real and was relieved it was all ~just a dream~
Definitely my anxiety and guilt playing out in the subconscious.

1 Like

In a previous attempt at sobriety I had a dream where I was absolutely terrified that I was going to drink and be hungover for a course I was taking. I remember the emotions associated, and the self talk not to drink. That’s stuck with me for a couple months now. I also had a few dreams where I think my body and mind processed some previous traumas. I finally said what I needed to to 2 individuals and it felt so good, even though it wasn’t real. I think dreams in these initial few weeks are really important to pay attention to.

2 Likes

@clawdia congratulations on getting past your first week :slight_smile: its crazy how our bodies and mind try to communicate with us because mine felt much the way your description did. Everything followed it… the guilt, the sadness.

@journey1 its good that some resulting dreams could have a positive effect to look forward too. Mine have been kicking it up full speed since i stopped, some into even much much abstract concepts. I will try to pay much more attention to them. Thank you for the suggestion!

1 Like

Thank you! :smile:

1 Like