Drink again...someday

Then guysss, u think that after being sober for a wile —Maybe months of after a year— it is possible to drink again but quietly, without getting out of hand?? Or being sober is something u have to live with always?

2 Likes

This is a good question.
I would like to think that if I wanted to drink responsibly I could. That being said i don’t really care for drinking. Haha
The fact of the matter is it’s all relative

1 Like

I think majority of the time i could have a quiet social drink and leave it at that. At times i would require a lot of self discipline not to get wasted, especially when i let my guard down. But, I know for definite the problematic dinking would slowly creep back up into my life which i dont want to :slight_smile: plus sober is awesome

9 Likes

I’ve though a lot about this too. And to be honest, I really don’t know lol

2 Likes

I’ve returned to drinking after periods of sobriety and it has always slowly returned to being a problem. Sober is the only way for me.

12 Likes

I have tried many times over the years to be a normal drinker, eventually I would become a blackout drunk again. So for me, no, I cannot drink again someday.

7 Likes

I guess I have been in that way before, this is the first time to really confront this like an addiction and a problem, but I remember years early telling me «I should stopt drinking so much» or maybe « just beer and no other thing more strong» and then regreting everything… so I supose that is my answer. Still… loking in thw future I find kind of sad… knowing that this would be always a isshue for me.

1 Like

Well, you do not need to worry about if you are drinking ‘in the future’ because seriously, all you have to worry about is right now and it sounds to me like you are strong in not drinking right now. I find when I keep my focus on right now, I worry a lot less.

8 Likes

Alcoholism is a progressive disease. It only gets worse. Analogy time… It’s like if you had a stereo with the volume turned all the way up to 11. Then you unplug the stereo and put it away for a month or a year or 20 years. When you plug the stereo back in and turn it on the volume is still all the way up to 11.

You get where I’m going with this? As far as our alcoholism goes, we get worse. Never better

12 Likes

When you first starting drinking you never thought you would be here. So if you start running in a circle you will get the same thing over and over again. Just back to the start of the relasp race. That being said it is your choice and your choice alone.

2 Likes

It depends whether you’re an alcoholic! For those of us who really have the problem, being able to drink again is an obsession, even in the face of all evidence to the contrary of that being reasonable.

1 Like

I would end up burning my neighborhood down within a matter of hours if I started drinking. My list of not yets is horrifyingly small.

Point being, if you’re an alcoholic you can’t drink safely. You might get away with it for a bit, but us alcoholics don’t stop after a bit. We stop when the shit hits the fan and we already threw our umbrella at the cops.

7 Likes

I tried to drink moderate after 5 years being sober. It didn’t work out.

4 Likes

The best way for me to deal with thoughts about “the dreary future” is to stay in today. I am sober today and plan to stay that way today. I have to drop my gaze from the far horizon onto the work in front of me right now. I get too nostalgic for things that haven’t happened yet if I stay my attention into the future!

6 Likes

it always gets out of hand again, not matter how in control you may feel at first. many have tried before you, I don’t see the point in executing the experiment yourself.

4 Likes

As the saying goes “doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is madness”. It’s true. I know 100% if i drink again i will eventually end up back in the cycle where i talk myself into having more an more. I don’t like how it messes up my mental health. I’m feeling alot more stable after only 74 days. I don’t want to give that up for a few hours feeling drunk.

6 Likes

I have asked myself the same question a million times. And still continue to do so. I’ve never been sober for very long. But I’ve had tried to moderate my drinking. I went as far as a year with a three drink rule. Until that one day I took four and then all bets were off. I want to control this, I want to be a social drinker but I don’t know if I can. So far I haven’t been able to. I’m on day 4 again. It’s just a cycle… on and on. If you are a true alcoholic moderate drinking will never work. I dream about a day that I can drink moderately. But I guess that’s the alcoholic in me talking. I’m just taking it one step at a time. Stay strong. Keep reminding yourself of all the reasons not to drink. And there are many. I keep telling myself that if I’m not having a good time with my friends because I’m not drinking. Then I’m with the wrong friends. I think we have all fooled ourselves into believing that we can’t have a good time without alcohol. But at this point in my life I have to try. It’s a very scary thought. I don’t know who I am without a drink in my hand. My friends don’t know who I am without seeing me drinking. I just don’t know. It’s battle in my head every single day. But I want to win this time. I want to do the right thing for once.

3 Likes

You might want to really think about your relationship with alcohol. Your comments have such a longing to them, like a future without drinking is bland and washed out. Start by building a fantastically livable life today, that doesn’t involve drinking. Guess what? That life you build today, will be with you in the future. You quit drinking for a reason. Remember this.

10 Likes

ive known people who have thought after a few years they give drink another try, most of them are in the local grave yard the door dosnt always swing both ways no way back i lived 31+ years without drink its been agreat journey no reason to go try again wish you well

10 Likes

Wise words from a man who has seen herds of elephants.

4 Likes