Early recovery is hard

I’m in early recovery, two weeks clean and my brain hurts lol it’s so hard to create new associations when you’ve used for a decade. Anyone relate?

18 Likes

I think most people here can relate. Building a new sober network is super helpful. I’m glad you’re here, welcome.

4 Likes

Hello and welcome, well done on your 2 weeks. :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks so much. Happy to be here & to connect with others who understand

3 Likes

Thank you so much I’ll keep coming back this is pretty neat platform

3 Likes

Welcome Amber! Welcome to TS! I can absolutely relate. I’m coming up to day 12 clean after struggling with addiction for 22 years. It has been crazy ups and downs already, but what an amazing experience fi be clean (I mean I do have my shitty days to of course). It definitly feels like alot of work having to retrain my brain, learn new healthier coping skills for my emotions, become more self aware of my thoughts and actions etc. It’s been long work in progress honestly since my 1st real attempt at recovery 15 years ago. But u know… as long as we just focus on the 24 hours ahead, stay present, and reach out to others, stay connected, and play that tape to the end, things do get abit easier they say :slight_smile: I’m glad ur here and posting! Wishing u only the best!

3 Likes

Congrats on your two weeks clean. You have landed yourself in a goldmine of experience, strength, and hope. I agree with Dan in that we can all relate to trying to carve those new neural pathways in our brains which take a lot of patience, practice, and time. ( well I agree with Dan on lots of other things too… )
Those knee-jerk reactions or automated responses that we have in early recovery do start to fade. Eventually, we are left with one of the most beautiful things recovery offers us; the freedom to make a choice. So if you keep hitting the pillow and saying good night to another day clean you will find that one day the urges are gone, the obsessive thoughts are gone and your brain won’t hurt so much.
I am glad that you found us!

6 Likes

Hi :raising_hand_woman: and welcome.
Congratulations on your 2 weeks :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Early recovery is hard, no doubt.

I relate it to losing your best friend, you realize your “best friend” was a toxic relationship you always give they always take, and leave you nothing in return and leave you with nothing.

When you realize the toxicity you decide to end the friendship, but there they are calling you waiting for you hoping you’ll return, for their benefit.

I learned even today I can still relate everything to some sort of drug or alcohol abuse, going to the game, great 13 dollar beers. Out to dinner, Wash it down with a high end beer. Out to the pub to socialize I’m looking to score more than some booze. Playing a gig? Gotta fix that stage fright, let me get a fix.

You’ll often here people in recovery associate things like Sober Bowling; or sober scrabble etc, it annoyed me at first but it makes sense, the goal is to associate good times and make new memories with new friends and not drinking or using to associate with it.

We’re glad your here,

6 Likes

Welcome!! It is hard! Coming here should help

2 Likes

Absolutely, it is hard! But it does get easier, as plenty of people here can testify. It isn’t all smooth sailing, but we are happy to share ur journey :purple_heart:

2 Likes

I’m 1 week sober and finding it hard to function as a sober person sometimes. I find myself having to keep busy by cleaning or reading. Down time to do things like watch tv is difficult because that’s really when I would amp up my drinking… and talking to people, even family, I feel weird because I feel like I have a big sign on my head that says sober or alcoholic. Haven’t told anyone but my husband so I guess that’s why I feel that way lol.

3 Likes

Thanks for that. I’m currently experiencing the annoyance of the sober connotation when I know that’s irrational. Hearing that it gets better gives me hope thank you for sharing

Currently working on building the sober support. Thanks for the encouragement really appreciate it. Kinda like coming out of a bad relationship and scary putting yourself out there, that’s vulnerability i guess

1 Like

Thank you so much for this reply! I will keep coming back here I appreciate your words a lot :white_heart:

1 Like

Congrats on your 12 days! I’m right there with you. I appreciate your words and I’m happy to have found this community I will keep using this space! Thank you for the support & rock on with your sobriety

1 Like

Welcome. Very cool. You will find so much here. Whatever support you need. Some of us go to 12 steps, some of us use SMART recovery and some of us find this app to be our support. Just reading or venting can help. I don’t think anyone in the world could stop doing something they have done almost by nature for a long time and not feel kinda fucked. It does seem to start making sense after a bit, but life will always be life.
Keep saying Hi. In a weird way, it works wonders.
Stephen

3 Likes

I feel you,

On the flip side the sober side of things early is pretty miserable like I said you lost your best friend, your grouchy, high strung anxious and have a ball of emotions, what’s it gonna be today? It’s like spinning the wheel of emotions

1 Like

Early sobriety is super hard and awkward. Do you have a plan or program your interested in pursuing to increase your chances of success? I did 90 in 90, (AA) and that helped build a good foundation and network of new sober friends…my Christian faith has also been a huge help as well.

1 Like

Congratulations on 2 weeks sweetheart :sparkling_heart: those early days and the small steps can feel like they consume you, so coming here and talking and knowing that every person has walked those same steps should give you some comfort and strength. I have never really been able to understand how I can’t resist chocolate, but I’m daily turning down the urge to drink myself to oblivion! :sob:
I’ve found it really helpful to make new habits, get back into my fitness regime and walk lots more with the dog. I can’t remember what point I stopped watching the clock and counting the hours or days, but it does happen and the feeling of pride is so overwhelming.
Keep at it, one step, one day at a time. Wishing you lots of love and luck and glad you’re here x

3 Likes