Easily overwhelmed and derailed

For people who are easily overwhelmed and derailed, how do you work through the next task that pops up?

I set good intentions, have a plan I’m executing and then things happen that require me to change course (either of the whole day or for an hour or even for the next 20 minutes.) I should be able to cope with then as I’m a grown ass adult but I struggle.

It’s like some days of my life its all whack-a-mole and I try to hit one or two and then I end up just sitting on my bed and watching them all pop up and down with the hope that eventually they work themselves out.

This is not a good life strategy for a 42-year-old human.

But I didn’t put my quarter in to play whack-a-mole today. Bastards.

Help! Hints? Suggestions?

7 Likes

I say give yourself more credit. You are obviously handling things best to your ability. For me it’s seems I need to give up control. I cannot control everything it’s just not humanly possible. Another big thing to overcome for me is asking for help when it’s needed. I am strong and capable but I need help. Phew said it!! Hope this helps. If anything I hear you and hope it gets better!

2 Likes

A big thing that has helped me is learning to let go and to practise mindfulness. It doesn’t help me to achieve more, but to be more accepting of where I am at, which is that I will never be totally on top of things and to not let this stress me. Also, when there are things that really are stressing me, learning to ask people for help has done wonders. It is strange and uncomfortable, but usually people are all too happy to help. Sometimes to get stuff around the house done, I just need someone else to come and hang and help keep me motivated.

Probably not quite the answer you were looking for, but working on accepting myself and where I am at, rather than trying to go, go go, has given me a lot of peace of mind.

:hearts::bird:

6 Likes

Thanks you two. I feel like if I get any more accepting of myself nothing could possibly get done.

In thinking about your responses I recognize that I get overwhelmed because a little task reminds me of all the other tasks I have not completed because I forgot or procrastinated.

Somethings, like this morning a fraud thing on my credit card which requires uploading documents, which may not resolve in 5 to 7 days and won’t allow any recurring payments to go through which could cause complications and if they don’t contact me to resolve this within 5 to 7 days I’ll be off the grid at that time and so what does that mean… This is a discrete event I took care of ASAP and to the best of my ability AND feel so outside of my control there a little more manageable.

BUT anyway, this is my lesson in sobriety: Do you things because they need to get done not because you want to do them.

Is that it?

4 Likes

Yes, so much this. I deal with things that are important and urgent. Very little, in fact, falls within this category I have come to realise. Most things are not time sensitive or are unimportant and there is no point stressing about those things - the “to do” list never gets done. I spent years chasing that feeling of being “done” and, well, that doesn’t exist for me.

My list of stuff to get done around my house is huge. I outsource what I can, if affordable. I hired a cleaner, because that wasn’t getting done. The time saved was both the time it takes AND the time saved of me fretting about not doing it. And I have peace of mind in knowing it will get done, regardless of my own life nonsense. With my spring yardwork, I couldn’t do it myself and waited too long to hire someone, so I asked some AA friends to help and we had a fine old time doing it together.

For stuff that is important, I just make a list of stuff that REALLY needs doing and plug away. Things don’t always happen on time - ok, so my car inspection was a month late and my registration 2 months late, but it got done.

I love to-do lists and ensuring that the intentions during the day are manageable, but also take into account other priorities, which are work, exercise, therapy, meetings, spiritual practise, eating, basic necessary chores, etc.

:hearts::bird:

4 Likes

Ugh, yes. Your first a paragraph is my life. I’m at work now, thank you for sharing your perspective.

2 Likes

I identify with this so much! It does not seem to matter how mechanically simple a task is, I still get easily overwhelmed. The task says to me, “I am a small task and I’d like to get done today please,” but through a megaphone, with sirens, threatening legal action if I do not comply. I understand the task is reasonable and well within my capacity, but my brain responds as if it is threatened and does its best to keep me away.

Through mindfulness I have learned to dig deep into the truth of what I’m experiencing and how I feel about it, and get some space as perspective to respond instead of react. It took a lot of practice, but I can sometimes see now where I go from “Ok, a task” to “OMG ANOTHER TASK”, and try to undo the catastrophic reaction to get back to that elusive grown ass adult that is, in fact, still alive and well inside.

CBT has taught me skills for changing thought patterns like this over time, and in turn, my resulting behaviour. Mostly I’ve just been able to apply it to anxiety so far, but I’m slowly becoming more able to address more and more aspects of how I think.

It helps me to remind myself that these tasks are a normal part of life, not an “event” that is happening “to” me, and tell myself “I’m just as capable as anyone else to get this done, it doesn’t actually hurt me to do it. Don’t believe me? Just WATCH me. I’ll prove it.”

Clearly distinguishing what is and isn’t important to get done also helps. I can easily guilt myself into facing a longer to do list than fits in my day, which indirectly sends me the message that not every task will get done, even though I think it should. This gives too much room for me to compromise and put off tasks once again, even though I’ve already wasted energy stressing about them!

For the especially stubborn ones, I may sometimes mention to someone that I’m going to do it and leverage some accountability.

But really it’s the mindfulness and CBT that is helping me the most. When I’m successful with it, I can notice my feeling overwhelmed, and figure out how to disengage from the wayward cognitive processing that abducts me from reality and into the dysfunction. It’s almost like magic sometimes, but usually tricky AF, and my success rate is not yet where I want it to be.

I am hopeful, and have reason to believe, that as we get better at tackling our tasks, we will also learn that they’re not so overwhelming after all, and it will get easier.

5 Likes

I can get overwhelmed at times, a lot of times actually!

My natural instinct is to shut down and ignore, but that’s not always the best solution.

So I’ve found that the best way to handle life is to first accept the fact that some things wont get done on time and some things may not get done at all. That’s just the way it is sometimes. This is both at work and personal life.

Prioritize tasks: I mentally keep a daily task list of what I need to do today, this week and this month. I want to get to a point where it’s written down because I often forget things. Some tasks are a must do, some can get pushed to the next day or two. Knowing what can get pushed helps facilitate those issues that pop up which needs immediate attention.

Ask for help: this is hard for me, but neccessary. At work I have a hard time asking someone to.do something that I know I could do myself, this is something I’m actively working on (it’s a trust issue). At home, same thing actually. If I do it, I know it’ll get done to my level of satisfaction. I need to allow others to help so that I have time to do the things that NEED to get done.

Celebrate your wins: it’s important in this rat race we call life that we sit back and celebrate our victories, no matter how small. Do this often!

7 Likes

I find that making a list of things to do helps the overwhelming-ness calm down a little. I also have to watch how I talk to myself: if I’m telling myself, “I have a million things to do!” , of course I’m going to be overwhelmed! Who wouldn’t? No one can accomplish a million things. So for me, getting it down on paper in front of me gets me started. Doing something easy first gives me momentum.

There are some things that involve talking or negotiating with other people. This scares me so I put them off. Usually takes a while to work up the courage to examine my fear and put it to rest. What’s the worst that could happen? I get yelled at? Okay fella, time to make that phone call…

Hope this helped

5 Likes

You have just written how I feel … Thank you for putting this into words I’ve never managed to explain but I so understand… x

2 Likes

I don’t have a good answer for this @Snowflake but I can add my name to the list of people who feel the same. The whack a mole analogy is perfect! Sometimes I feel like I’ve started about 5 games and then immediately realise I don’t have enough hands :joy:

Not feeling able to do the most basic of stuff is really shit. Another +1 for meditation, giving yourself time and space to take a step back and work out what’s important. Often I work myself up and the overwhelm is because of unrealistic expectations and/or wonky perspective.

I have also found having animals is good. They need feeding and entertaining and caring for. Keeping things alive is the most important thing and probably a good enough reason not to worry so much about the housework etc. Plus they make loads of mess so it’s a good excuse :joy:

Edit, exhibit a: chicken shit on the walls!

3 Likes

One thing I have noticed is I was stressing over stuff that big picture was not worth stressing about. Petty work politics, car light is out, kid is stating out late, etc. I know some of that was due to the alcohol. Kind of self fulfilling prophecy, you stress so you drink, you drink so you stress. So drying out, meditating like some here recommend, just chilling more and the stress does not hit so sharply.

3 Likes