Eating like crazy!

Okay so if I hadn’t relapsed last weekend I’d be like at 20 days… but now at like 3…oh well…either way this whole time I’ve been eating like crazy, whatever I want. It’s like I’m replacing alcohol with food. I justify it because I’m not drinking my calories. So I’m telling myself once I reach 30 days I will be able to slow down on the food and eat healthier…True? anybody else do this?

4 Likes

oDQw0D9f

I ate like crazy at first, then was like “Whoah, simmer down, turbo!”

I watched a bunch of videos on no-added sugar diets and other nutritional videos. Also watched a lot of cooking videos and now make my meals at home. Before almost every meal was McDonalds or the local mexican restaurant. I think we put the owners kids through college…

You can do it, but i think its best to do it sooner than later.

6 Likes

Eating sweets (HaPpY effing Halloween) like crazy. Feeling like I’m substituting one thing for another. Feels just as bad to me.

2 Likes

Yep. I didn’t worry much about diet in the first month either, just focused on sobriety. Then picked up on exercise which weirdly helped get my appetite back to normal. Now pondering getting all this damn candy out of the house!

That’s very wise to notice. :+1: “Keep getting better at getting better.”

2 Likes

I just posted about this last week too lol. Its definitely a “thing” in the beginning.

1 Like

Yes definitely true for me, my appetite didn’t slow down till about 85 days, I gained a stone in weight but now I’m concentrating on exercise

From what I hear, it’s normal. Especially sugar stuff. Our bodies are craving all the sweet calories we’re missing from cutting out booze. I HEAR it slows down :joy: my sweet tooth is mad at the moment, but I am trying to exercise and add in more good stuff too. I feel like with food, it’s about adding in more good stuff and not restricting so you drive yourself crazy.

To be honest, it’s the lesser of evils to begin with… Cake over shots. Whatever you gotta do to get through the first months.

3 Likes

Same here :joy: I was hungry all the time and ate crazy amounts of food, too much carbs and too much fat. Now I cut the carbs but kept the good fats. And since then I’m finally loosing weight. So you’re not alone with that. This hunger will fade eventually just give it some time.

1 Like

I’m just over six months sober, and I’m just now feeling like I can let go of the ridiculous amounts of sugar I’ve been eating. Baby steps…

3 Likes

Yeah … some here . First weeks it was crazy, couldn’t stop having sweets all the time. It’s getting better. I’m back to a work out routine now and it helps to level out the appetite.

1 Like

Me too. I don’t normally have a sweet tooth but since I quit the booze (only 12 days), I’ve been absolutely demolishing whole packets of chocolate cookies, haribo sweets, cakes, you name it.
I think I need to go to chocoholics anonymous!

4 Likes

I’m not the only one! I’ve just recently started looking into the sugar cravings I am experiencing. It’s nuts! I love being sober but don’t like the way my body is reacting. So what I am hearing is they diminish after your body has time to adjust?

I’m not even sure that my sugar cravings have slowed. Maybe I’m just getting in a better place to fight them? Although, this Halloween candy gotta get out of my house or I am going to be sick.:roll_eyes:

1 Like

That’s what I hear! I’m hopeful…

I’ve read the best nutrition plan is gluten free. I just won’t. But low sugar…low carbs…no processed crap. I can do that😊

1 Like

Yea I figure one thing at a time. I’ll start back at the gym in about a week or two. I’m going to count what would’ve been 30 days as my day to start eating healthy

3 Likes

Personally I found getting back to the simple habit of taking a brisk walk after dinner was a great start early on. Sugar is a rough one (my daily drinking was equivalent to ~2000 calories :open_mouth:). Just getting the heart pumping again went a long way to starting out the leveling process.

Of course everyone will be different in that one! :muscle: Sounds like you have a great plan!

2 Likes

My appetite is still roaring. My solution is to earn everything through working out like a madman and making healthy choices more often than not. Craving chips, eat a handful of roasted nuts. Craving icecream, eat a chobani flip. Cookies? Whole wheat matzo with almond butter. Little things like this, combined with exercise, enable me to eat a lot, and still lose weight and feel great.

3 Likes

@NetoMx. Here is a thread where other people have talked about eating lots. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Last time I did 90 days I ate a lot of chocolate and figured I was drinking around 700 cals a night in wine so it would even out… It didn’t. I put on weight and hated myself and putting on a tight pair of pants and the anxiety around feeling fat led me to the bottle shop. Poor self image as a teen and low self esteem blah blah were likely large contributing factors to me become a very heavy drinker. Go easy on yourself but try not to replace alcohol with sweet stuff. Buy some dark chocolate or a nice hot chocolate drink for the evenings when you need something! Yes sweet stuff is better for you than booze but if you end up gaining weight then you prob won’t feel great about yourself and that can be dangerous :slight_smile: