Emotional distress: 1 Me: 0

I made it to 6 days, which is the longest time I’ve had sober in who knows how long. It was certainly a challenge but a rewarding one. I unfortunately let my addiction have the best of me yesterday due to my relationship coming to an end. I am disappointed that I chose alcohol as a coping mechanism, as it of course has never helped me feel better, especially in heartbreak. Also because I almost made it to a full week. But I will learn from this and hope to introduce healthy coping skills into my life, because alcohol cannot be the bandaid to my problems anymore. If anyone has advice on how to cope when you are feeling completely lost in heartache (or lost in navigating sobriety in general), I am all ears. I am so extremely new to this lifestyle and am feeling all the feels. Thank you in advance!

15 Likes

Welcome Amy, so sorry you’re going through a tough time. Stick around and join in the conversations. Hugs sweetie.

5 Likes

Hi Amy and welcome! Keep posting and reading and it will help you stay sober. I don’t know what I would do without this app/site and all of the wonderful and supportive people on it. We’ve got this! :muscle:

3 Likes

Welcome Amy. Unfortunately, there’s no way to go around those feelings. You have to actually sit and feel all the feelings and if that means crying or screaming into a pillow then do it. It’s tough but you’ll get through it and come out the other side a better version of yourself. We’re so used to numbing that it’s difficult learning how to just sit in those feelings. I’m really proud of you for jumping right back into sobriety. We’re all here for you even if you just need to vent, we’ll listen. Sending you a big hug. :hugs:

9 Likes

Thank you (: this app has been really helpful

1 Like

Thank you! I am definitely seeing that. The community on this app feels so close and that feels very comforting

1 Like

I need to unlearn the numbing of/suppressing of my emotions. Need to sit with them to make this successful. Thank you so much for your response and words

3 Likes

When I first got sober, this quote above is by far the simplest one to connect with. The thing I found through my early days is that all those feelings and emotions that came spilling out and felt overwhelming, had been bottles up for so long that I was allowing them to come out because the other methods of control for them left me feeling depressed and even suicidal at times. IT IS OK TO FEEL EMOTIONAL. The best analogy that I can think of is imagine your emotions, all of them, are a 2-litre bottle of Diet coke. And by removing alcohol from your “diet” you are in a sense dropping a whole lot of Mentos*TM into that bottle. I’m sure you’ve seen the videos on YouTube but if not, here you go:

Just like this video, it was very hard for me to control my emotions and I was erupting for over about 90 days. It was crazy! I was happy, I was sad, I was angry, I was tired, I was confused, I was delirious… I was a mess and THAT WAS OK!
My suggestion this go around is remember that you will be having the tidal wave of feelings coming but you also MUST remember that one drink will not make these feelings any easier, let along two or more drinks.
You can do it! Think about how rewarding it’ll feel once you have made it past the emotional roller coaster. Honestly, you’ll see colors differently, hear people differently and life just feels better. This is how the forum and AA has helped me and with the determination I know you have in you, it can help you too! :hugs:
6 Likes

That is such a great analogy!!! I know I need to experience these emotions since suppressing them never made them more tolerable. I have to submit to the pain and work through it and strengthen that muscle. Thank you for your encouragement. Although it’s hard, time makes everything easier

5 Likes

I completely understand! Personally I struggle with the abstract idea of “feeling” emotions. I’m like what the hell does that mean? Then I read “why can’t I drink like everyone else” by Rachel hart. She talks about learning to be uncomfortable and sit in emotions.

The suggestion is when you feel something- 1- stop- physically, 2- drop- drop your attention into your body, 3- breathe- long deep breaths.

I have been dropping into my body and then writing down the sensations in my body and guessing at what emotion I’m feeling.

Ex. Anger- hot face, heart racing, throat tight, stomach in knots, tears peaking out. Now when I drop into my body and feel like this I know it’s probably anger or fear. I try to just stay with my body and let my mind run all over. I know I can handle a hot face, sick stomach and tears, I can sit in that and feel it. When I have it passes so much faster.

Anyhoo, not sure if this is helpful but it changed my entire view of “feeling” my emotions. I don’t find them as scary now.

Hang in there, keep trying things! We are gonna figure this shit out!

3 Likes

I love this. This is so real and helpful I’m literally purchasing that book on Amazon as we speak. I’m so thankful of all the feedback. Heartache and addiction is a bitch!!! Especially combined!

2 Likes

Once you recognize the problem then you can change it, like you i ran to the bottle everytime shit got tough because it was easier to just drink the pain away, now I am sick of reacting to my problems like my past self would have and I admit that it is a problem that needs to change. Just remember the past is the past, but your future is in complete control!

3 Likes

You are totally right. Thank you!! I’m so ready to face life with a clear mind. It’s worth it

2 Likes

Hi @Amy012. Great job getting straight back to it. Feeling feelings is hard. I’m sorry you’ve been through a rough time. Together we can take this journey, one step at a time. Keep reaching out, we are here.

Sending you hugs… :pray:t2::two_hearts:

4 Likes

I love that quote! Thank you so much for your support

1 Like

Hey @Amy012 how you doing girl? What have you got lined up today to help keep you sober?
Wishing you the best! :sunflower:

1 Like

You are so sweet for reaching out thank you!! Luckily work keeps me very busy during the week so that helps. Waking up feeling clear minded and healthy is a great motivator (:

1 Like