Emotions anonymous?

I try to find places in this forum where someone as talked about this but didn’t find anything on the subject.
I just found this “Emotional anonymous program” and it seems interesting (considering for myself that all my life hasn’t always been about trying to drink, but it was always for sure been about escaping or coping like shit with emotions.) I red this morning those 12 EA “just for today” and found them interesting and calming (they have 12 steps, 12 slogan, 12 promisses, etc.) there : https://emotionsanonymous.org/what-we-offer/ea-program-basics/12-just-for-todays.html (the French version of the EA steps are more adapted to emotions than the English version, which is pretty close to AA I think).

I was wondering if anyone was familiar and would like to talk about this. or just thoughts.

Anyways, the 12 “just for today” were a certain relief to me this morning… Just wanted to share, so I’ll just copy them here for anyone interested or having trouble with emotions on this particular day:

12 Just For Todays

1. Just for today I will try to live through this day only, not tackling all of my problems at once. I can do something at this moment that would discourage me if I had to continue it for a lifetime.
  2. Just for today I will try to be happy, realizing my happiness does not depend on what others do or say or what happens around me. Happiness is a result of being at peace with myself.
  3. Just for today I will try to adjust myself to what is and not force everything to adjust to my own desires. I will accept my family, my friends, my business, my circumstances as they come.
  4. Just for today I will take care of my physical healthy; I will exercise my mind; I will read something spiritual.
  5. Just for today I will do somebody a good turn and not get found out. If anyone knows of it, it will not count. I will do at least one thing I don’t want to do, and I will perform some small act of love for my neighbor.
  6. Just for today I will try to go out of my way to be kind to someone I meet. I will be considerate, talk low, and look as good as I can. I will not engage in unnecessary criticism or finding fault, nor try to improve or regulate anybody except myself.
  7. Just for today I will have a program. I may not follow it exactly, but I will have it. I will save myself from two pests — hurry and indecision.
  8. Just for today I will stop saying, “If I had time.” I never will find time for anything. If I want time, I must take it.
  9. Just for today I will have a quiet time of meditation wherein I shall think of my Higher Power, of myself, and of my neighbor, I shall relax and seek truth.
  10. Just for today I shall be unafraid. Particularly, I shall be unafraid to be happy, to enjoy what is good, what is beautiful, and what is lovely in life.
  11. Just for today I will not compare myself with others. I will accept myself and live to the best of my ability.
  12. Just for today I choose to believe that I can live this one day.

Have a good “just today” guys!

2 Likes

By the way, the first one is huge for me. Very hard to do something that I find boring and useless to my existence or my growth, like doing some technical things, chores, some useless things in academic, etc… But it is part of existence too. And I am able to do them even if it would be discouraging to do so for a lifetime. And not talking all the problems at once… Very hard. At the source of me wanting to escape, there is myself who can hardly deal with emotions. Especially these days with the quarantine and depressive states.
Thanks for reading and take care.

1 Like