End of the weekend

I drank Thursday usually I would drink Friday or a Saturday cuz it’s the weekend but this weekend I never. I just hung out at home was kinda boring just thinking of wut there is to do when u feel like drinking ?

1 Like

I’ve been taking my son to the park, doing projects around the house, working on my professional network, playing video games. That seems to be helping so far. Or binge watch a Netflix series.

1 Like

I felt like that to start with but over time I realised it’s actually going out drinking that’s boring. Going out same places, same people, same blackouts, same bullshit… Same shit different day!

I realised that there isn’t anything I could do while drinking that I can’t do sober - nothing worth doing anyway! And that by being sober it opened up the door to do so many things if I want to. Now I can’t work out how I had time to drink so much :joy:

It takes time and I have learned that patience is not a virtue that comes easy to most of us. But it does get easier to manage. And, it’s ok to be bored sometimes.

Make the most of the chill time while you have it!

2 Likes

In terms of dealing with a craving, here is a short list of things I have found helpful:

• go for a walk
  • yoga
  • meditate
  • sleep
  • have a bath
  • read
  • watch TV
  • hang out on the forum
  • call a friend

Something I found useful was HALT - if you are feeling like drinking, are you Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired? Address any of them that you are feeling and by the time you have, the craving should pass :blush:

4 Likes

I managed to stop boozing 11 months ago. I was never alco-dependent like my mum was (that and smoking destroyed her health before she was 60 years old). However, drinking a bottle of wine on a Friday and Saturday night did cause me problems and caused me to OCD which continues to disable me regularly (like I’m one day free again…)
The good news is I have saved nearly £700 which will provide towards a nice holiday sometime!

2 Likes

Tell me what’s boring about living life instead of doing the same old same old every weekend.
I’ll tell which one is boring, sitting in a pub or your own living room drinking your life away.
Get out and do something.
I have always had a love for the outside. When I got sober I started reading books that rekindled that love.
Most weekends ( lockdown excepted) you’d find me at least walking a distance.
You sound like you are young, I may be wrong. But you have such a great chance to really experience life.
We only have one.
Why waste it drunk.

1 Like

Over the weekend I went for a walk with family only missed my son. But he is 12 now so not much into doing things with me unless they involve getting him some lol jk but ya I noticed I could use more walks get into better shape could be a new hobbie for me only thing is I have to get use to doing things by myself since I don’t have a whole lot of friends.

Welcome to the club. At least by yourself you get no complaints about what to do, where to go.
Do things that really get you outside your comfort zone. This helps growth and you get to know yourself.
Something I always wanted to do was wild camp but my wife just isn’t into it. So to celebrate my 6 month sober I went up a mountain and camped on my own. Loved it and it’s only lockdown stopping me from doing it more this year.

3 Likes

Getting used to spending more time by myself is one of the things I have loved about sobriety. Walking is a pretty good activity to do alone but it can be social too.

I have found that now I am more confident in my sobriety and myself I have started to find friends. A bit of luck and being in the right place at the right time, as well as reconnecting with some people I knew. But it’s almost like as soon as I got to the place that I wasn’t actively looking for friends, I started making some!

5 Likes

Hey Adam, that’s a MASSIVE decision to make and one you need to get to hold to. Well done :bangbang:
You can start the new path and take it steady one day at a time…
I wish you well. You’ll find lots to encourage you here in the community :blush:

2 Likes

Welcome Adam! I’m proud of you for making the decision that enough is enough. You’ll see that it’s a good feeling to be in charge of your life again and not be led by the nose by alcohol.
I’m also happy for your wife and your relationship with her. :raising_hand_woman::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

You’ve got this mate, it’s down to you what way you want your life to go. There’s an old saying what I go by… " that thing you keep talking about doing, maybe you should, because there maybe no tomorrow"! Stay in this group, there all amazing. Best of luck to ya

2 Likes