Even at Work I'm tempted to drink!

Oh my goodness, I’m only on day 12.5 and struggling to not come home from a stressful day at work and have a glass of wine or a shot from the freezer but now I have to see it in my face at work too? I work in an office where EVERYONE drinks with no problem, so they think, and now I have to deal with them cracking open cans of beer and drinks while I’m at work. I say no its ok I’m not drinking and of course the funny looks and faces happen. I’m so exhausted of the intense urge ALL THE TIME everywhere I go. I can’t even get away from it work. This is a rough one today.

2 Likes

Congratulations on 12 days. Make sure you have no alcohol in your house, anywhere. I would have to do my work and leave immediately. Don’t hang around and wait for them to start drinking. Just say I’m not drinking and walk away. That is a difficult situation but remember why you quit to begin with. :grin:

I did walk away, they kept asking. But I stayed strong but it just frustrates me. My husband keeps alcohol in the house because he still drinks only on occasion. All of our friends drink which makes things hard for me, I get lonely cause I always bail of gatherings with friends for this reason and it’s always in my face with friends, at home and now work too. It’s like they judge me for not drinking. now I’m too “churchy” they treat me like I think I’m too good to hang around them but in reality I miss hanging around them but I’m trying to get away from the drinking to save myself. ugh

If drunk is normal, I want to be the weirdest person in the group. Eagles don’t go looking for a flock. I guess it’s just my personality, which has resulted in a great group of friends, but every one of them respects my sobriety. Over the years I have learned the better a friend that I am, the better friends that I have. I do socialize, even at breweries and wineries. I don’t drink, and my wife is thankful, appreciative, and supportive. My friends are respectful. It is a non-issue.

Plus, I am the “designated thinker”. I make sure tabs are paid, and everyone gets home safely. In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

I just spent a couple if weeks at company kick-offs and vendor shows. Lots of free booze. Lots of colleagues I’ve only worked witb via email and phone. Lots of vendors looking to garner favor by buying drinks. Had to politely decline too many drinks to count. I just say “I’ll have a coke” and leave it at that. No explanation. No envy. No issue. I don’t drink. I don’t have to explain it, justify it, or rationalize it. I just say “thanks, I’ll have a coke.”

5 Likes

From your lips to my ears…I know exactly your feeling…I do 2 things. The urge hits…1)i go to the bathroom and pray, or 2) I open this ap and look at how many days I got.

7 Likes

I’m past the urges. I am to the point where it’s who I am. I hope you get there soon. I guess I hit the “I’m done” point 118 days ago, and I know in my soul I will never take that first drink. I know without question, I can refuse the first drink. I know that after the first, all bets are off. My rational, sober mind knows it all turns on that one drink. I don’t worry about drink #2. Drink #1 is all I have to say “no” to.

3 Likes

Praying you will find in the future a better job environment

1 Like

Time for a new job my friend…I know that may seem impossible but you have to do what’s best for you!

1 Like

I 100% understand you… Work is over for the day. Headed to the Hotel, the rest of my crew is getting showers and heading to the Steakhouse across the street to drink…Its gonna be the Weight room, pool and a walk to the Subway for me. This is actually my 1st time Sober and out of town…definitly a test for myself!

1 Like

I’m not past the urges but…very well said.
Drink#1 is the one that gets you!

1 Like