Every TV show and movie has liquor

And gives me a craving

4 Likes

I was making mental notes of this yesterday as I watch a sh*t ton of TV lately because of a knee problem. There are some shows where there is not a single scene without booze or reference to it, or drugs. Case in point, currently watching The Ranch tv series.
It doesn’t make me crave drinking, but I have become much more aware of the not-so-subtle way we are bombarded with the supposed normalcy of drinking for every life situation.
But I’ve come to realize that I can’t drink like Jessica Jones and still maintain my super powers. :wink:

7 Likes

Yes that’s true. Everyone who drinks in tv always looks gorgeous too, never reddish or swollen like we all look when we drink. I’s only television, only people who act like they would drink. I always remindet me those facts and it did help! Not right away, I needed my time. One day the cravings stop, believe me

6 Likes

Yeah it’s only day 5

1 Like

It’s already day 5, always think positive :heart:

5 Likes

I also looked gorgeous while drinking, if you were to ask my drunken self…

6 Likes

I noticed this when I started out too. With time, you may find it bothers you less and less. I don’t notice it anymore.

In the meantime, some ideas:

• Animated TV and films. These rarely have liquor, and even if they do it’s not so realistic. Not just for kids, either, there’s lots of all-ages content.
  • Different genres. Documentaries, far-future sci-fi, stand-up comedy, some genres just do not have nearly as much of it.
  • YouTube. Tons of interesting content out there. Good for learning new things, having some laughs, or even just some audiovisual background noise if that’s all you need.
  • Finding something to do that isn’t watching TV or movies, like a hobby you’ve always been interested in but never had time for. Or listening to a podcast or audiobook while doing a puzzle.
7 Likes

I don’t always watch this much TV. But I have had a cold basically since I stopped so I’ve been resting.

5 days is pretty great in my book! Good job!!

We just watched The Meg last night and I don’t recall seeing any booze in it. Now Chernobyl miniseries is a whole different story, lots of vodka in that one.

Maybe try some of the drinking/ sobriety movies for a different perspective. I love watching them. Also reading sobriety memoirs. Here are a few movies…

28 Days
The Lost Weekend
Days of Wine and Roses
Smashed
Flight
When A Man Loves A Woman
Clean and Sober
Rachel Getting Married
Permanent Midnight
Basketball Diaries
Trainspotting
Thirteen
Barflys…I need to watch this one again

6 Likes

@SassyRocks Thanks for the recommendations!

1 Like

Nothing wrong with that! I suggested alternatives to TV just for additional ideas, it wasn’t at all a suggestion you should be watching less. I think TV is a really useful tool for distraction, and helping the mind disengage from stress a bit. Use it if it helps, by all means. :slight_smile: I know I do. And rest is important, especially in the early days when your body is going through a lot.

1 Like

I thought so, too. But mugshots don’t lie. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

I wish I still had my mugshot. It was hilarious.

3 Likes

12 Likes

Thanks God there never where videos including my drunken self! But pictures :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

Haha can not relate at áaaaaalll ;)))
All those selfies why haha!

2 Likes

Yeah the glamorization is crazy. Most people see it as classy. Most people aren’t alcoholics though. TV likes to skip those, although the Hangover isn’t too far off base…

3 Likes

The only good thing about a craving is that it wont kill you, but caving in to one certainly can. :wink:

1 Like

Far too much on tele, me and the missus have started watching American Horror Story on Netflix and it’s extreme overkill with the booze, can’t escape it hey, even on a crappy soap opera in the UK sitting in a boozer as the norm social thing to do

Be great to see a few TV shows we’re people are quite happy drinking mocktails or soda etc, laughing and joking without the plugging of alcohol or acting drunk etc :thinking: :wink:

1 Like

I like watching documentaries on alcohol / drugs which shows it in a negative light rather than positive

3 Likes