Everyday conversations

Has anyone else noticed how much everyone else speaks about alcohol and plans events around alcohol since they have stopped drinking? Today i did a fun run and afterwards the participants got alcohol after they crossed the line (i didn’t of course) then i went home and my housemate asked if i was drinking today and i said no… he asked auh how come… i just replied i didnt feel like it and he though thought it was strange because he was havinf a beer… then i went for dinner in a restaurant/bar and i ordered a cup of tea and the barman asked really? You don’t want a proper drink?? :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

3 Likes

Its a daily occurrence, it’s insanity now that I pay attention to it. No wonder I became an alcoholic, it was normal really. So sad!

4 Likes

I think much if it is generational, and the social culture one resides in. I was a an active-duty US Marine from age 18-32. I was sober from age 22-30. Drinking was part of the culture, and abuse frequent by junior enlisted and officers. For a long time, I was an “odd duck”.

Same when I entered civilian life. I met and married a woman 10 years younger than me, and many of her friends were still in the party stage of life. My service buddies too. I was right there with them.

At some point there is a sort of “winnowing out”. Some marry and get serious about their careers. They settle down, develop different priorities, and continue to drink, albeit moderately. Others continue to party life, and just bump along, kinda stuck in that stage, or they crash and burn hard. Maybe a dwi or a job loss, or something.

Then there’s folks like me. High-functioning. Good at their jobs, solid income, active in the community, family, solid group of friends…and they are also problem drinkers. Peel back the veneer of success and stability, and you will see the cracks, from which drip wine, beer, vodka, and bourbon. The train wreck is happening so slowly that only those closest to them see what is happening.

So yeah, I see what you are seeing.

7 Likes

It really is! Every time I go out to eat the first thing the server asks is “any drinks?” They loom sour when I ask for water lol, they want an upsale! Also large spaces of grocery stores are dedicated to alchohol.
I wonder if people who are not alcoholics do not even notice this as we do

1 Like

I must have do not feed the animals written on my head bc no one ever asks if I want a drink. Even people I’ve never met must be able to see the destruction that awaits if they give me booze.

Oh well, I guess it’s a good thing lol.

1 Like

Yep - I was a dripping train wreck.

2 Likes

I was so annoyed with everyones reaction to me not drinking… like i never have a drink during the week its always the weekend and i was going out but for peoole to be so concerned as to why i wasnt drinking was frustrating because i was really trying my best without the added peer pressure

Absolutely, It’s crazy how normalized alcohol and alcoholism is in our society. Almost daily I hear people joking about being “alcoholic.” It’s the new thing now for women (especially moms) to joke about medicating/coping with wine. There are tonnes of memes about it…giant wine glasses, etc. And the pressure to drink is intense. I noticed it even while I was drinking…as soon as I became conscious of my problem.

1 Like

I have no problem with that. Most people don’t have a problem drinking. I do. Most people stop after a few. I don’t. Most people don’t turn their vehicle into a 3,000 weapon. I do. I can go on and on about how bad at drinking I am but it would get boring. In my area we have a Budweiser brewery that employs a lot of people. My area is economically depressed and we need those jobs. Just bc I can’t drink doesn’t mean other people shouldn’t be allowed.

2 Likes

Oh absolutely each to their own. I had just never realised how much alcohol was mentioned theoughout a day because i never thought too much into it but now that i am conscious about it i couldnt believe it. Im also irish so im never going to be around many others who dont drink :joy: i need to learn to take that cup of tea instead of the wine thats offered

It’s such a massive part of our culture in Australia. There is no escaping it, EVERYONE drinks.

1 Like

It’s crazy how when you get sober how much you notice people talk about alcohol and how much everything is centered around it. It’s like it’s the only thing anyone really talks about!

I was at a bar the other day, ordered a ginger ale and the bartender ACTUALLY ROLLED HER EYES! and said seriously? Just a ginger ale? I know it was because she thought she wasn’t going to get a big tip when the bill wasn’t full of drinks. But I ordered food and I’m a waitress myself so I always tip well. Plus my boyfriend plays music at that bar so I always treat everyone well. Well, that night I didn’t. She pissed me off. Lol

3 Likes

Hahaha i would say she wasnt happy at the end of the night. I worked in a bar when i was anout 18-24 and i swear i was hoping there wouldnt be a million drunk people haha but livinf in ireland haha that doesnt happen very often… i never drink during the week its always the weekend when i always want to go out etc but im actually excited just to spend this weekend relaxing at home and watching a million terrible movies :joy:

2 Likes

I would highly advise you avoid anything with Steven Segal in it. Yes, they are terrible movies, and he plays the same character in all of them. He’s like the Kristen Stewart of action movies. Right now there are like 50 movies in my “Suggested for StevieTee” screen on Netflix, and like 80% of them are Steven Segal movies. I’m thinking to myself, “someone at Netflix is screwing with me.”

You watch a few CHuck Norris movies, and Netflix starts serving up Steven Segal…over, and over, and over again.

Now, John Claude Van Dam movies? Different story. Yes, they are terrible, but at least he’s got some acting range.

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy::joy:… okay i need to avoid a few of those… what are some good ones to watch while this weather is so cold?

1 Like

What do you like? Horror? Classics? Action? Thrillers? Comedies?

What’s your delivery system? Netflix? Amazon? DVD? VHS? Betamax?

Betamax. Those things are probably worth a fortune by now

1 Like

Everything there except horrors :slight_smile: i have netflix and the wonderful streamig world

I’ve come to dread social events. It’s such an ingrained part of society. It is strange how I get the odd look when I say no to a drink. I’d rather it be awkward then me end up a blithering drunk ass like I used to.

I pass 13 places that sell alcohol on my way to and from work. I never noticed them before. Each one I pass a give a verbal lashing…lol

1 Like