Evidence of the effectiveness of Alcoholics Anonymous

I found this New York Times Article & thought I’d share it.

5 Likes

I’ve got a year and a half sober. Already good enough for me!

3 Likes

I have 2 years and have not gone to 1 AA meeting. I go to 4 different groups a week. Plus I have a therapist that I see once a week! And the things I’m doing have worked for me. I may be following some of the ways that AA works but I sure don’t follow it to the t I’m not knocking AA by any means! It’s just not something that has worked for me in the past so what I’m doing now it’s working for me! So I don’t want anybody writing back and saying that I’m anti AA

1 Like

There is no one correct way to do AA.
I find it more about the connections and openness that help me more than any step work does.
Plenty of long time sober’s in my group (30+ years sober) that have never done the steps.

2 Likes

I agree as far as non stepper’s. I’ve just had issues with the most 2 faced insincere people. My Groups have us all. We got your alcoholics, heroin addicts, opioid addicts, whatever kind of addict there is we got them. We don’t do tables per say. We sit in one big square. It’s really different as far as AA that’s why I love it so much.

It is said, that opposition of addiction is connection :innocent::blush:

3 Likes

Love this :heart:. May steal Lol… Goodnight… God Bless you. Keep you Safe!!

1 Like

I’m happy to see a positive article on the negative affects of alcohol on our society in the NY Times. Alcohol-related deaths doubled between 1999 - 2017 :flushed:

What exactly are the other treatments they’re comparing AA to though :thinking: All I saw mentioned was Cognitive Behavioral Treatments.

2 Likes

We included randomized controlled trials (RCTs), quasi‐RCTs and non‐randomized studies that compared AA or TSF (AA/TSF) [twelve step facilitation] with other interventions, such as motivational enhancement therapy (MET) or cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), TSF treatment variants, or no treatment.

Yeah, it does seem like a comparison between AA and various “clinical interventions.” And hey, study says between just those we got about half covered already? Sweet. :grin:

It’s interesting seeing numbers and all. At the end of the day though, whatever gets ya sober and all that. :+1:

Side note, they also compared costs and found AA/TSF had more health care savings than other treatments or no treatment.

Ain’t that last part the truth!

I am have more serenity when I go to meetings. I enjoy, the people. I have went for long periods without meetings, I do not drink during these times. On the other hand i do tend to be more narcissistic. I am glad you are sober and have something that works for you.

1 Like

For me, my first 2 months sober I didn’t do anything other than read on this app, which helped immensely. But I got to a low point where I just didn’t know what to do anymore. It was exactly 2 months the day I decided to try a meeting so I got 3 chips at once! I needed help and guidance on how to deal with all of my new emotions trapped in my head and it worked. As soon as I heard the serenity prayer things became much easier to deal with. I’ve just finished my 4th and 5th steps and finally my brain feels relieved and cleared of all that junk I’ve been overthinking. I never saw myself becoming a member of such a fellowship but turns out it was exactly what I needed. I’m so grateful such a program exists and that theres so many people willing to reach out and help with any problem I have. It truly is a blessing for me. Friday I’ll have 4 months and I plan to continue to attend as often as i can. Work picks up for me soon(seasonal) but I’ll do everything i can to keep going. Great article. And it’s nice such a well read newspaper put it out there bc I’m sure theres so many people that need it, like me, that dont know anything about it.

3 Likes

Great advocate for 12 steps; Richard Rohr

This thread has inspired me to check out a new meeting today