Exercise and early recovery

I’m 50 days clean from my DOC… H… I started trying to run about 2 weeks ago I quit smoking cigs yesterday. To hard to run as a smoker. But I don’t feel that piece and motivation they say if u exercise threw recovery. I’ve tried time and time again to get clean the most I ever had was 75 days. But I Still feel so off. I was hoping running would be my cure but I don’t feel like it is. It feels good when I do it. But then my day is just dark and blah the rest of the day let alone I’m still not sleeping a full night even tho I try my hardest. I’m just lost. Will I ever be normal?

4 Likes

Exercise is great for recovery, but it is by no means a cure, if such a thing even exists. Have you considered going to meetings and working the steps (AA or NA, or even HA). That’s where I have found my best defense against putting another needle in my arm. As far as the exercise goes, try getting a bike. It’s easier on the joints and lungs for us smokers.

5 Likes

Long walks in beautiful parks or gardens may be better than running in early days, IMHO. Getting at our inner happy by sinking in to the beauty that surrounds us, that we’ve been missing when using. Then something good to eat afterwards, an expensive dessert out. Rewards for the simple joys of being alive . And like Derek says, meetings and fellowship with people who can relate and help in tough times are also key. Peace.

4 Likes

I’m a pretty active guy. Work out every day. I walked for the first 90 days, and listened to podcasts while doing so. Running might be a bit much, especially since you just quit smoking. If it exhausts you, this can leave you feeling down.

3 Likes

You might wanna try othrt exercise like strength exercise. Chalistenics changed my life and are a tool in my recovery or the gym which is also great

1 Like

Thank you all for the input I really needed that.

1 Like

Have you ever tried yoga? It’s great for every mood including if your feeling drained, a good restorative practice can really help you recharge and feel nurtured. Let me know if you want some pointers on where to start. X

3 Likes

I’m buy no means that flexable lol but I’d like to be lol I’ll take any pointers yes I’m so depressed I don’t feel like me but then again I don’t know what sober me is suppose to feel like.

2 Likes

You dont need to be flexible, just open minded and patient with your self.

Here are a few short videos on YouTube with my absolute favourite teacher, she has tonnes on there for every mood.

Are you working a program for your recovery? I hope you find some peace soon, it’s tough going figuring out what sober you looks and feels like, and can be exhausting. Be gentle on yourself and kind, your doing amazing 50 days is impressive work, a huge achievement. In the grand scheme of things it’s still early days though so dont be disheartened at not having it all figured out just yet. Your going great :blush::kissing_heart:

3 Likes

Thanks. It beats that first week for sure I just hate the fog the confusion my words don’t come out right I use to be such a social person but the anxiety has me down too. Not working a program but I came clean with my family and my mom has been a tremendous help along with my brother he has 3 years of sobriety he’s just ALWAYS busy. Really to freaked out to walk into a meeting I don’t know what I’m supposed to say or do. But I’ll try some of these vids. I was wanting to become a runner but yes that’s definitely exhausting. I just thought I had to go big or go home pretty much to see results.

2 Likes

You have plenty of time to take up running when your energy levels are restored and it’s a great little goal to work towards.
Good for you coming clean to your family, bet that was a huge relief.
There all sorts of meetings you could try when you feel ready and dont forget everyone had to start with their first meeting and feel the apprehension you feel.
Enjoy the videos, let me know how you get on xx

2 Likes

There is also “forest bathing”. I’m not sure if it’s actually different than other walks outside but I wonder if dappled light through the leaves might not make a forest walk better than being out in full light. Or maybe I don’t know what I’m talking about. LOL

1 Like

Keep at it, for heroin recovery it’s absolutely normal to take 9 months to a year to recover your dopamine-based reward system to its natural functioning, and life can feel varying degrees of shitty along the way even with exercise. BUT running or other exercise and good health habits like healthy diet can help make that happen faster, however it will still be measured in months. You are doing the right things and if you stay clean and keep caring for your body you will keep making progress (even if you cant see it day to day!).

1 Like