Exercise Routines

New here. Ready to do this. Just want to get back to who I want to be…ME! Healthy! What exercise routines do you follow? I signed up for a virtual 5k and can’t wait to complete it.

4 Likes

Good for you! I am not intense with my exercise - my benefits of health and weight are coming from my healthier diet now - but I am a big believer in taking time with family, so we do walks after work, swimming (when we can), and on weekends we do biking and trail walks in the woods.

What sort of exercise do you like?

I love it all man. I’m really doing some long bike rides. My last ride was 47 miles and hiked three mountains. Mix it up and have fun, do some hiking, biking, weight lifting, running. Honestly anything and everything that floats your boat😀

2 Likes

My usual workout routine is lifting Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri – and on non-lift days (Sunday, Weds, Saturday) I do a 5 mile run. I do all of my workouts first thing in the morning, before eating or anything else.

In the current world, I’ve just been running since my gym is closed, upped to 4x a week. Starting this past week, I am doing a full body bodyweight exercise routine on the other days that I don’t run (3x/wk). I found a playground nearby where I can do pullups, dips, rows, etc.

Nonetheless I am ITCHING for the gyms to reopen. Right now that looks to be a month or two off.

3 Likes

I ride my bike during any extended free time I get. My wife and I also take our children hiking once a week. We usually don’t go far, but we want them to love the outdoors as much as we do.

1 Like

I walk twice a day with my boys during the week, I like to dance and listen to music, lift weights and watch TV, do small sets of any exercise while I’m working, I’ll go outside with my boys while they skateboard or scooter…or try to jumped rope while using a pogo stick :grimacing:…I will jump rope myself. I pick a number of jumps I want to do in a row and then I need to do X amount of sets where I hit that number per set. The other day it was 100 jumps per set (4 sets). If I got to 75 jumps I didn’t count it as a set… Basically I like to make working out fun and set personal goals to challenge myself.

4 Likes

I love the outdoors. I feel totally at peace there. Good on you guys for taking the kids out to hike - I’m sure they will treasure these memories :relieved:

I started running again this year, a great 12 week walk to run program I have followed in the past to ease you into 5k…am just starting week 10, which will bring me up to 3 miles. I run 4 days a week right now, will up to 5 on week 11. Once I conquer the 5k, will move in to 10k to prepare for the 2021 Disney Princess 10K which falls on my 60th birthday weekend, so I am so excited for that.

On the days I run, I do yin yoga later in the day for a super stretch and peace out in my head. I also ride my bicycle 2 or 3 days a week…nothing fancy…usually 10 miles or so, sometimes 20 if we get on a long trail.

Our gym just opened back up and fitness classes restart Tuesday (new protocol…only 10 to a class, sign up in advance, can only take 1 class per day). If I can secure spots, I plan on 2 days of tabata/strength training a week. I love strength training/weights (and it is important at my age), but have not been motivated to do much of it at home…so hoping I can land a couple of classes a week. I have lost muscle for sure.

I am a cold weather runner, so Florida’s humidity is challenging for me. I use frozen towels and will likely start wearing my Camelbak filled with ice water soon to keep me cooler. Plus side to Florida running is the flat terrain. I am used to running hills in Vermont, so flat is nice.

I applaud you for working exercise into your recovery. It has been a real love affair for me moving my body, clearing my mind and cleaning out my cells in sobriety. I remember early days of sobriety being like, “Wow, this workout sure is less painful when I am not hungover and dehydrated!!” Doh!!

:heart:

2 Likes

There’s the difference! Half the reason I get out of bed in the morning is because breakfast…I can’t wait to get home and eat after a run, haha. Thats my motivation to run fast!

Another reason I always run in the morning, nice and cool!

3 Likes

I wish it was cool…man, the weather here definitely keeps me challenged. I enjoy running thru neighbors sprinklers when available!!!

2 Likes

My routine is…3 x times a week running, 2 x times a week indoor cycling and 2 x a week strength and stability training. Also there are walks with my dog. 1 day is rest day. I think most important in exercising is to listen to your body. Proper training, proper fuel, proper rest. I am proud 2 times marathon finisher (Rome/Italy and Berlin/Germany both in 2018), 17 times half marathon finisher and now in process of training for my third marathon in my hometown this October…if “rona” will f**k away.
Stay strong and good luck in your exercising!

1 Like

Heavy lifting five days a week. Walking, jogging, and bike rides for cardio 2-3 times a week.

2 Likes

In the past I too have finished a marathon and half marathons but my sport of choice is the Sprint triathlon. 31 under my belt. I would love to do a half Iron man, it has always been on my bucket list. Thanks for the reminder of previous great training times. I’m going to use it as inspiration. I will run today.

1 Like