Expecting too much

A question for those who have extended time sober, around a year or more. Have the positive results from living a sober life met your expectations? Have your expectations been exceeded or did you expect more out of yourself and sobriety after a year?
Maybe I shouldn’t have expectations. Just set goals and enjoy my sober lifestyle which I am.

4 Likes

Following.

I don’t need a year to tell you that the promises come true. Just stick with it. Your life will get better.

2 Likes

Even if exspectations are not met in that time. i have goals set that i keep striving for until they are met. even if they do take longer then i hoped. I dont let these obstacles bring me down and give up. We can always improve if we put our mind to it!

3 Likes

My expectations have definitely been met and more. I had no idea just how good it felt to be clear and free of alcohol…how much it was changing my perspective, my mental state, my emotions, so much. I am looking forward to seeing where this journey takes me.

3 Likes

I’m at 444 and yes I think the promises are happening. They have been for quite some time. Have I got everything I wanted most definitely not. But if you set realistic goals and expectations they will be achievable. But this is my thoughts on this. I truly believe I learned to live in today. I find the peace in living in the moment. I’m not chasing something to provide my happiness. I have it in the life I have.

8 Likes

Yes the promises do work and have for me for along long time now only get what you put into your soberiety ,wish you well

5 Likes

Here are The Promises everyone speaks of. And YES, they do come true. Sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly.

5 Likes

I’m so glad you asked! I’m on 445 days and absolutely sobriety has been 100 times better than I ever expected. I went into this knowing that I wanted to reach my highest potential – to be the best person that I could be. And I’m doing that every day. The learning, the joy, the freedom and the sense of confidence are all things that I never knew would come with every day not drinking or drugging. I really didn’t know that life could be this good when I’m is so reliant on alcohol and drugs being a big part in my life. It’s like walking through an indivible doorway that you never knew existed and now I’m here on this side and I just want to tell every who is or -wants to be - in recovery how great sobriety is. Living this way is about my evolution and it’s really good feeling to be around other people whi get it and have the same sites on life.

3 Likes

I didn’t have expectations other than that I wanted to be sober so I could stop the downward spiral. It was robbing me of my life. That has definitely happened.

Better still is that, lo and behold – I have a life worth living!

4 Likes