Facing first weekend without alcohol!

Oh GOD PLEASE HELP ME! My head is filled with the urge to drink, Friday was my day to really over do things…like week days werent bad enough! Friday meant non stop drinking until Sunday!!! :sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::skull::skull::skull_and_crossbones::skull_and_crossbones::skull_and_crossbones:

5 Likes

Stop. Breathe.
Not every day will feel like this.
Not every moment will feel like this.
Allow the anxiety and urge to drink to come in like a wave and retreat like a wave.
This will pass.

You are brave and not alone.

9 Likes

Just think of it as another day at the sobriety office. Most pubs are closed at the moment anyway, so it really is just a normal couple of days.

5 Likes

You can do it and think about how much easier next weekend will be after making it through this one :slight_smile:

4 Likes

As others said above: breathe. Breathe. In, out, in, out. Picture yourself on the side of a river. The boats are floating past. Your thoughts are the boats. You don’t have to get on the boat. You see the boat - you see this thought about drinking - but you do not have to get on. Let it float by.

Join in on the Friday thread! It’s a nice way to keep occupied & have some fun on Fridays.

5 Likes

I was going to say something along those lines; it’s just another 24 hours. Take drinking out of the equation; it does NOTHING for you! Life is so much better without it. I get how hard it is to break up with it but if I can do it, you can!

7 Likes

Go for a run, get some ice cream, find a project round the house that needs to be done but you know you’ve been wanting to do it, start a new book, try your hands at some crafts, anything really to keep your mind busy, stay strong and stay calm.

6 Likes

Also, in my case anyway, waking up without a hangover has probably been my number 1 thing that has helped me. You’ll wake up smiling!

5 Likes

I’VE DONE IT! I MADE IT TO SUNDAY WITHOUT A DRINK!!! I nearly failed yesterday! I lost my purse, couldnt find it anywhere, in panicked stress I decided I needed a drink​:grimacing: I literally had a bottle of bacardi and a glass in my hand, then I thought of the words of support from all of you, of the hangover I would have to endure, the guilt the gaving to reset my counter. I put the bottle back kissed my son and made our dinner. I found my purse and am so thankful thatbIndidnt give in to the stress and to everyone that encouraged me this weekend, you saved me from myself. Day 5 and im actually doing this, im not drinking, I am finding strength in everyones words and for that I am truely grateful​:kiss::heart::heart::heart::heart:

8 Likes

It’s hard to break those urges. But they do lessen after 10-14 days. It really takes that long for those chemicals to work out of your body and stop the really bad cravings. After that your just working on keeping your new habits!
You got this! Do some self love! Read, bath, hike, pet an animal, volunteer, workout. Work on helping you be better :muscle::grin:

2 Likes

I am starting over after 5 years of Sobriety. When I stopped before I went cold turkey, I am praying that I can do the same again.

I have an anxiety this time like no other

3 Likes

You can do it, i was the same way. Im on day 11 and literally juat finished lunch sitting at the bar while my 2 friends drank and the bartender who knows me asked if i wanted the usual. I said na im good and just ate my lunch and hung out as normal. Driving home i felt so good and proud.

3 Likes

Have you thought of a plan for your time? Staying occupied will help. Stock up on NA bevs and treats and nutritious food/meals so you don’t have to shop, go for walk/hike, watch movies, etc?

You’ve done it once, you can do it again!

If I may ask, after 5 years of sobriety, what led you back to the bottle?

Thats so amaizing, im so proud of you!!

I thought that I could socially drink again. But my drinking just progressed. Big mistake on my part.

1 Like

I am trying to put a plan in place, I like to read books, and cook, thought about joining a gym. I thought about taking a trip to gather my thoughts. I really feel like a failure, the drinking binge I went on Tuesday night cost me my relationship. I own my mistake, I don’t even remember allot of what happened.