Failed after 7 months

Hey guys!

I haven’t been here in 7 months. The reason is that I feel into relapse during the summer and have been drinking since then. I had a real bad day yesterday (sunday) with a hungover that was out of this world and is still holding on. I need to get back on track! I was sober for 7 months and did real good but then i slipped.

Have any of you guys made it by yourselsf or have most of you gone to AA??

5 Likes

Lots of us use AA, lots do not but do another program where they don’t go it alone. It’s hard to tell how many try outside of an official program. I haven’t heard many stories from people who don’t work any program* official or unofficial, and are sober for long periods. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen, I just don’t hear about it much.

I use AA but I don’t think I ever will have “made it”.

*By “program” I mean in a general sense, some thorough carefully considered plan to continuously improve oneself in the context of pursuing lasting sobriety.

5 Likes

I’m 2 and a half months sober. In that time, I’ve been to some meetings to see if it was for me. I really like the idea of having a sober network and a place to go to vent and gain strength. I like the 12 steps because it helps teach you how to manage your life without alcohol. I haven’t committed to AA yet because I haven’t needed to yet, but I’m smart enough to know that if I wait until I need it, it will be too late and I will have relapsed.

10 Likes

Over a year sober. Don’t do AA or Smart. Have my own “program”. But, I’m not alone. I come to this forum every day. I read and comment at least once, every day. I am convinced that this has made a hugely positive impact on my sobriety. I think it’s a mistake for people to leave this forum when they relapse, or only post when they relapse. But they are them, and I am me. My way works for me. Does their way work for them?

28 Likes

I use AA because I noticed that recovering alone for me was impossible. I needed some kind of support. You can find support here and in AA, it depends on what kind of support is more suitable for you.

7 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Im def gonna check it out. Any good suggestions on podcasts, literature?

1 Like

I go to AA. For me, it’s perhaps the only place I have ever felt immediately at home. I find acceptance and peace there. I need the community, and I need the face to face interaction. I’ve grown to care deeply for the folks in my home group. The stepwork helped me get to the fundamental reasons behind my alcoholism. Yes, I have the genetic makeup. I also have a boat ton of character traits that lend themselves to addiction. AA helps me work on them.

That’s me, though. I have a lot of respect for my friends here who work other programs. Whatever you choose, I hope you get the support you need.:heart:

10 Likes

Just ordered it :slight_smile: thanks

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your replies! Im definitely going to spend a lot of time here for support. <3

3 Likes

Welcome back, @Jocke. I’m glad you reached out, and that you demonstrated for me that drinking still sucks, if I were to consider it.

There is no going it alone. We may kid ourselves that’s what we’re doing, but when we reach out a hand for help, then we are not alone. For sobriety, I’ve used AA, medication, inpatient rehab, outpatient rehab, counseling and TS. Not all at once, but each in its time.

Like @Yoda-Stevie, I do something about my alcoholism every day. This includes prayer, meditation, reading and TS. I go to 5 AA meetings a week, and stay in phone contact with AA folks regularly.

I relapsed chronically for years until I was done drinking. After that, I had to find a toolkit to help me sustain my sobriety. The important number for me is 1. I am sober 1 day at a time, sober since I got up this morning. And I avoid drink #1.

Blessings on your house :pray:, good luck!

9 Likes

Thanks of your reply :pray:

There have been few days where the only thing that’s kept me from drinking was the thought that if I don’t get to my meeting early, no one will have set up the chairs. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I wouldn’t be where I am today without a support system and routine.

4 Likes

I’m over four years sober. I’m not in AA or any other program. I read a lot about addiction (I read a lot in general) and check in here frequently, even if it’s usually just reading what others are posting. I’m an introverted, independent and disciplined person (an old bf once told me I had more daily routines than a retired marine captain). I have spent a lot of time reflecting on my years of drinking, deconstructing the choices I made and the thinking that landed me on a barstool for so many fucking years of my life. I’ve also spent a great deal of time reprogramming how I define fun and relaxation and stress release. I’ve incorporated daily exercise into my life as well as getting outside and into nature. Not always easy in a big city, but necessary.

Overall, I have a much calmer and peaceful life style than I did when I was drinking. I enjoy hearing the drama in my friends lives and I love that I have almost none of my own. Back when I was drinking, I was one big old mess of drama.

It can be done without a program but the programs seem to be a great support for many people on here.

Do you know why you drank after the seven months of sobriety?

8 Likes

Hey @Alliecat Thanks for your reply :slight_smile:

My brother was turning 32 and we were heading down to our local rock bar to celebrate. ( I had been there many times before that night just talking to friends and drinking soda instead of beer.) For some reason I thought it wouldn’t hurt with 2 beers just to celebrate him.

The fact is that I didn’t drink a lot the first couple of weeks when i got back on it, I though it was ok and I stuck to 2-3 beers and that was it. But deep inside i knew from experience that it would finally escalate to were one of those night where you don’t remember how yo got home or where the fuck you did the night before…
It sucks that I have to look at my phone to see if i walked home (step counter) or took a cab. I have to check my bank withdrawls to see were I was that night.

3 Likes

Ah, sounds familiar: checking my phone for clues to determine my activities the night before. Finding photos of things I don’t remember doing and text messages I can’t believe I sent and wish like hell I could take back. That was all part of the “fun” for me back then.

I can’t have one. Drink one is the gateway to my drinking past— and I’m determined to make sure it’s not my future. Once I can justify one drink, I can justify anything.

4 Likes

1 week! feels good to wake up early and fresh on a sunday :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yoda I’m in the same boat as you I do my own thing and I also have family support and a lot of ppl waiting to see me fail and am going to prove them all wrong … but really they are failing .I’m 118 days I think it’s getting a lot easier now … I’ve had a free good heart to hearts but that’s expected… Anyway keep up the good work

3 Likes

2 weeks!! early sober sunday morning is the shit!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sounds familiar to my story AA is an amazing place and will keep you sober if you attend

1 Like

Happy New year everyone!! sober new years at home with my GF. 3 weeks in !

3 Likes