Family and stability

So 3 months into no drinking so yay but my family is the insensitive type. Here’s a bit of backstory. I spent a few years away at school but had to return home because of financial stuff. I never finished my degree. So back in August when I moved home my already heavy drinking took a plunge. I wasn’t working, was extremely anxiety/depression ridden and in a very bad spot. So after 7 long months of this I got sober. I immediately contacted an old boss who has been sober 11 years and got a job with her in the food industry making minimum wage. I have been working, attending AA, working with a sponsor, dealing with court stuff (DUI :frowning: ), but doing well overall. My family has pretty much stayed out of it, no support or motivation really to keep going, just neutral. I am greatful for the roof over my head and I do love my family very much, but my mother has been nagging me to get a better job, preferably with the few years of college work I have under my belt. While I would love to do this, I am still new in my sobriety and need the stability I have right now with the understanding boss I have. This is not a good reason for my mother, and to add to it, her father(my grandfather), has been nagging her about my job situation. There has been some very cruel things said and it just hurts that my sobriety isn’t important enough to give me time to figure the rest of my life out. My grandfather doesn’t know of my alcoholism, and my mother doesn’t want him to know…neither do i. What hurts the most is my mom told me he was considering writing me out of his will…which makes me even more hurt because it’s like he is giving up on me. I dont care about the money, i care about the action. I wish I could hold value to myself regardless of their views, but when they view me as just a lazy, worthless human it’s hard. I don’t know what to do. :frowning:

2 Likes

Oh geez. That is such a terrible thing to hear. I don’t really have any solid advice other than to just keep going. Your sobriety has to be your top priority. This is your life and your body. You need to make decisions based on what is best for you - physically and mentally. It’s a shame that they can’t see how important this is for you. Give it time. Keep doing what you need to do in your sobriety and the changes will come in due time. We are here for you. You are not worthless and you deserve happiness. You can’t control how other people feel about you. Just keep doing your best one day at a time. Take care of yourself. You can get through this.

2 Likes

Congratulations on your 3 months @Cocobear. That is a great accomplishment. Your family doesn’t understand how great this is, nor do they see how bad things could have turned out. At least you’re working. You can be proud that you’re being productive. And if you decide you want to make a change of employment, you need to decide to do that for yourself, not for someone else. Good job. You got this!

2 Likes

I think it might be time to have a sit down and have a heart to heart talk about what you’re doing and why you’re doing it. Sobriety comes first. Explain without the expectations of them fully understanding. Keep your head high…bow before no one. Get real and set boundaries. You are an adult and don’t need to be bullied into changing for them.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement. I really didn’t want to sound like a bratty kid, it’s just tough being in this environment. Plus feeling all the feels again. Gah! I am not someone who cries a lot but these last 3 months have been crazy lol. My sobriety is SO important to me, but it’s hard to make my addictive side shut up when I’m getting overwhelmed and just want to down a 6 pack. But my boyfriend told me that was my self will talking lol which I needed to hear and reminded me to have a chat with my higher power. :grin: feeling a lot better with the support here and such. Thanks guys! :heart:

2 Likes

Sorry to hear you’re getting pressured. Families can be difficult at times.

As others have said, your sobriety is number one priority, if you are feeling happy and satisfied with what you are doing, don’t dwell too much on their views.

I’m not telling you what to do, but if your grandfather is threatening to remove you from his will, I’d make it quite clear that you are focusing on building a secure future for yourself, where you can rely on yourself to support YOU and those you need to support moving forward and if that is how he feels, then that is his prerogative and you respect that. I’d go as far as saying that you hope to still have a relationship with him regardless of what he does (that’s if you do) and that his choice will not affect that from your point of view. I’d also remind him, that his will and inheritance are his personal affairs and that they really don’t concern you, you are not relying on them for you to build the life that you want for you.

It’s a tough one, but as you progress on your sober path, things will fall in to place and become clearer. Good luck.

3 Likes