Family brushes coke addiction off

I told my family I need help numerous times and that I’m an addict. I ended up oding on ghb a few months back and told them everything. Since then iv told them I might need help but then a couple days later I back out of it saying I’m fine. Or sometimes they dont respond to me and ignore it. I at times hint that I am still using but they act like it’s nothing I dont get it. And they never ever ask about it. I kinda wish they would for Fuck sakes im screaming for help on the inside…Idk just wanted to vent

Normies. They dont know what to do with addiction. They dont understand it. If you need help, you may need to find it on your own.

1 Like

They understand alcoholism though it runs in my family. My dad has been an active member of aa for 21 years that’s what I dont get.

That is weird. Wish I had better advice. I’m a closet addict, so I cant relate very well. Maybe a strong talk?

My advice is to be clear. Come out and tell them you are using. Ask for what you need. If you told them you’re ok and don’t need help, maybe they are taking your word for it. If youre still using and they think you aren’t, it would make sense why they aren’t asking about it. If you know you need their help and support to stop, hinting clearly isn’t working love, you need to try the next step. Ask and you may receive! :heart: Hugs. I hope you find what you need to beat this!

1 Like

When I told my family there was absolutely nothing they could do to get me help that I couldn’t do myself. They couldn’t get me into rehab, they couldn’t make me go to meetings. I had to be the one to do all those things. If your father is in AA I’m guessing he knows that he’s powerless over your addiction.

If you continue to stay you need help and then don’t go get any they probably don’t have much faith that you are serious. Once you start showing them you are serious about recovery I’m sure they will be more supportive. And even if they aren’t that doesn’t give you an excuse to go out and use again. You gotta do this for you. They can’t get you clean.

6 Likes

often our families are pretty used to us saying we are fine and denying any issues. it’s not their responsibility to get us or keep us sober. sounds like your family is aware of that. especially if your dad has been active in aa for that long, he knows very well he is powerless over your substance use or decision to recover.

when i got clean/sober i didn’t mention it to family right away. i knew it was likely they wouldn’t take me seriously, or they might not even believe me. we don’t see each other so how would they know i’m even sober on the other end of the phone ya know? maybe you could attend a meeting of a recovery program and share your experience with your family as you continue to attend?

not trying to put you down or anything, just saying i’ve been there too where i’ve told others i have a problem and then taken that back and the next week lied “oh i’m doing great”. they could see through my bullshit, but, also knew it didn’t matter. there was nothing anyone else could do to help until i decided to help myself.

keep at it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Im with @Englishd on this one. Great points man, exactly what i was thinking…