Family holiday strategies

Hey team! So what are your strategies to cope with negative emotions triggered by the holidays?

My family is celebrating a baptism today and I have to act like I care about everyone’s lives when really I’m completely indifferent to what happens in them.

I could use some advice.

2 Likes

So don’t go.

6 Likes

It’s out of state and im here. That ship has sailed :/.

Like an old timer in AA told me, “I don’t have to like you, but I do love you”.

It’s ok to to not ‘like’ someone just because you’re related. We all have family members somewhere that we don’t see eye to eye on things. We say our hellos, make obligatory small talk for a moment then move on. Who knows, you might connect with someone you’d least expect.

3 Likes

Focus on that little person. He or she hasn’t yet made the mistakes the rest of us have. Set your intention to believe in the goodness of that kid and what he or she will bring to the world.

The rest of them? Have a couple of go to questions prepared. “What’s new since I last saw you?” “Read anything good lately?” “What’s your favorite movie this year?”. You’ve then made the effort to be social. Then look for opportunities to stay busy. A wise friend once reminded me of the magic of doing dishes - keeps your hands busy, you are doing a task no one else wants to do, and you don’t have to talk. Are there a lot of kids there? Offer to read books to them. They will love you, and so will their parents.

Keep a drink in your hand at all times. La Croix or club soda and lime are my go-tos.

Check in here if things get tough. We’ll help you out if we can.

8 Likes

Very deep and effective advise. Thank you sir. You helped me this Christmas :). Didnt drink and wasnt a shameless asshole.

1 Like