Family Visit Trigger

Hi All! I’m 51 days sober and just managed to get through a 3 day weekend with my family without giving in to a drink. I’ve been dreading that trigger the most since I started this journey. My family is the farthest thing from functional. Not so much drinking but horrible communication (none really), passive aggressive behavior and always some grievance simmering just below the surface. I took 2 long walks each day, squeezed in a short meditation before emerging every morning and tried REALLY hard to avoid potential minefields. I was pretty tempted to stop on the drive home, pick up a bottle of wine and just numbing myself last night but pushed through it. I was so excited to post today and share with everyone here. If my experience helps anyone else with dreaded family triggers then I’m happy. One Day at a Time!!

21 Likes

Good for you! :raised_hands:

2 Likes

This was totally me this weekend lol holidays are usually my drinking feasts as well besides the turkey. Traditionally wine with dinner and drinks while I cook… Was so strange to not have any. Good job on making it through. You should be proud!

3 Likes

Thanks!! Families can be tough huh?? :roll_eyes:

Definitely a struggle :hot_face:

1 Like

I can very much relate. I would just effing down that vodka and cooking rum when visiting my fam.

Weeeeeeellll doooonnnneee!

3 Likes

:clap:t3::clap:t3::clap:t3: Awesome! Families can be our biggest trigger! I know mine was until I put up boundaries. I’m so happy for you!

1 Like

Good job!!! :partying_face: Visiting with family can be rough, but you stayed strong. Be proud of yourself! :blush::purple_heart:

1 Like

A family weekend is something I’ve been trying to avoid too. I’m just over a month sober and my family are all alcoholics. I have no idea what that’s going to be like hanging out with them again and I know the pressure from them will be there to give in. Good for you staying strong!

4 Likes

Good for you!!! Being with family (for many reasons) can be stressful, but you made it out alive and more importantly sober!!!

1 Like

Congrats!!! My family makes me want to pick up the biggest bottle I can as well and similar dynamics…there’s always snide comments, passive aggressive behavior, some sort of problem, etc. no matter how loving, polite, giving, etc. someone may be to them. What a miserable way to live that we can chose not to be like - but damn the high road is exhausting! Kudos to you!!!

2 Likes

Wow you have no idea how much I needed to read this right now. Or maybe you do actually haha…I am going to visit my family this weekend and I’ve been sober 4.5 months. My brain keeps wanting to justify drinking to get thru it abs I’m fighting it with all I got. I’m glad I came here today and read your post because it gives me some added ammo to keep fighting with, knowing I’m not alone! Good job to you and thanks for the inspiration. I’m

Trust me I was NERVOUS beforehand! Thankfully the weather cooperated and I could get out of the house for some quiet time a couple of times every day. I did tell my Mom I wasn’t drinking and she had little to no reaction…no congratulations or well done. I didn’t really expect it but still would have been nice. Keep in mind how amazing you will feel on the other side of the visit and you will be able to give yourself a HUGE well done!

:100:!!! I gave up trying to understand why they choose to be unhappy every single day years ago, in fact I was mired in that mess for many years. Seeing that dynamic from sober eyes was so sad but as you said, it’s their choice. We walk our own paths! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Watching my family through sober eyes reinforced my commitment, maybe that will work for you too, stay strong!

1 Like