Fault, responsibility and recovery

20 twenty characters 20

14 Likes

I think you should also take a few moments and appreciate that it is you, yes… you, that contributes greatly to others in keeping them on the right path, and for which they are very grateful

You give meaningfully to this forum.

Go well
:+1:

7 Likes

Have listened to Noah on u tube seems ok and if he helps people stay sober and have a better life thats good ,for me im old school AA is my thing but opened minded and what ever helps you stay sober keep on trucking

3 Likes

A bedrock of my recovery was accepting resonsibility for everything that was going on with me internally and externally. That video has a great message.

1 Like

Here here.well said.xx

Hi Kevin,
@kdog724

I’ve spent tonight looking into different recovery programs (big thanks to @SassyRocks for compiling the list with links! So helpful :pray: you’re awesome!) I know that joining a recovery community will help me on this journey, and I remembered reading many of your posts previously about Refuge Recovery and how it’s helped and supported you on your journey : ) Whilst I’m not fearing a relapse per se, I am very aware that recently I have been feeling deep and heavy pangs of loneliness, which stirs up feelings of not being good enough or worthy which is causing sadness and my mind to think about drinking. all sorts of thoughts have been popping into my head, excuses and reasons why I should just "give in" or “give up and drink” because no one cares about me.

So, having done a lot of reading, mostly on their website, I’m keen to join the Refuge Recovery Sangha : ) just a shame that in-person meetings are not currently available (due to Covid-19). Hence I’ve found this post/thread of yours. Going to get Noah Levine’s book and start there. I notice there are some Refuge Recovery podcasts available on Spotify too, so will give them a listen. How does Refuge Recovery work for you? Do you have a daily practice? Any insight or thoughts you’d like to give are very welcomed :blush:

1 Like

Omg! That sucker is huge!!! You’re brave!
I would be running and screaming. :grimacing: :joy:
You sound like my husband. He wants to save all God’s creatures. I always fear it’s going to come back in the house after he sets them free outside.
You should post it on the pet thread. :joy:
I did read the rest of your post and found it very helpful so thank you for that.

1 Like

Thanks Kevin, I really appreciate the generosity and kindness in this response!

Wow! That spider was HUGE, haha. Well done for letting him live, no doubt that good karma is going to come back to you :blush: Funny, the timing of reading this, because just this morning I was looking after my niece and nephew and my nephew pointed out two tiny little spiders on the roof at my place and he said “Aunty, Aunty look! Spiders! Kill them!” To which I responded, “oh no darling, I’m not going to kill them, I don’t want to harm them, I want them to live, I’m happy they’ve come to visit, cause they’re going to help keep me safe from the other lil bugs in the house, if they grow into big spiders I’m sure they’ll be happier to live outside”. Haha. He was like “oh yeah, spiders love catching bugs and spinning webs in the trees”. It was super cute. He is only 4 and is super curious about everything! So, coincidental that I come on here and see your post… I think not! lol

Thanks for taking the time to write out and explain what Refuge Recovery is for you and for the run down of how it works for you. Meditation is one of those things that I KNOW will help me on this journey of recovery (not just from addiction but from the deeper rooted issues of a lack of self-worth and unhappiness/anxiety) it is something I continually hear about and learn and understand and even innately or intuitively feel as the guiding “light” so to speak, BUT I just don’t seem to actually do it ,like I keep saying I will, I keep making plans to meditate, but it just doesn’t happen. I’m great at giving myself a list of “to do’s” and I put a lot of pressure on myself, I know there’s many practices and disciplines that will help me. But while I have good intentions, I seem to struggle with action and commitment :smirk: I frustrate myself in this way. I’ve followed the Dalai Lama for a long time now, I watch many of his talks on YouTube and have read a couple of his books, and I really resonate deeply with Buddhist practices and know that compassion for ourselves and others is the loving way forward to that peace and happiness. I guess I need to remember that this is all part of the journey, and there is no destination here. The purpose is growth and contentment. This actually brings to mind, my favourite quote by Dr Wayne Dyer (these were the final parting words my beloved Aunty gave me when she passed)…
"Peace is the result of retraining your mind to process life as it IS,not how you THINK it should be.

I’m so happy to read that my post to you has helped you too. That type of thing always feels like a bit of divine synchronicity to me :blush::pray: we are all definitely stronger together!
I think a really beautiful part of Refuge Recovery is the idea or principal of helping others. I know when I’m not so focused on myself but rather on helping others, I feel good. Its simple and true. Lately, I have been so caught up in myself and feeling lonely, that I have lost connection with others. And my ego wants to blame them. But there is really no one to blame here, I feel what I feel, but I can acknowledge and accept it and work towards more loving connection, my niece and nephew bring this in spades to me.

Can’t wait to get his book. Based on what you’ve layed out above, sounds like it’s right up my ally!

I think I will be able to implement (hopefully) practices learnt from this, with other knowledge and wisdom I’ve been blessed with. God/the Universe is my higher power, and I know I have His/it’s love and He/it has got my back - and yours. And I know, for sure, that sober life = our best life :raised_hands::blush:

So, a massive thanks again! And, how is your sober life treating you today?

1 Like