Favorite movie?

To give your brain a break from thinking about other things, here is a fun question:
What is YOUR all time favorite movie and WHY?

I’ll go first! Haha. BACK TO THE FUTURE! It’s so much more awesome and interesting to me watching it now vs when I was a kid. It’s lighthearted, entertaining and puts me in a good place every time I watch it. I’ve watched it a lot in early recovery, actually. It’s a movie that doesn’t make me bawl my eyes out when going through many emotions daily. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

The Shining

An absolutely stunning film, visually - just beautifully shot, as is the case with most Kubrick. Just a lot going on in that movie below the surface level.
Jack Nicholson is my favorite actor, too, so that helps. Watching his descent into madness is great, despite being able to tell from the very start of the film that he’s a little unhinged already. Love the scenes between him and Lloyd the bartender.

The documentary “Room 237” is a good look into some of the stuff going on in that movie. Some of it is way too far-fetched for my liking, but I think a good amount of what’s discussed is certainly plausible, or at the very least interesting to think about. Really bolstered my love of that movie.

9 Likes

I have 2 favorites, Fried green tomatoes and Dirty dancing. I love the amazing story line behind fried green tomatoes and Dirty dancing has this classic and fun feel to it for me.

10 Likes

Boy - its a toss-up for me - tied for first place is The Godfather and Shawshank Redemption. I love crime stories and am kind of a Mob junkie… I loved SR because of the good guy wins in the end and sticks it to the bad guy.

5 Likes

He’s an all-time great! He and Pacino are my #1 and #2

1 Like

Red Dawn, the 1984 version. Why? Because “Wolverines!” that’s why.

3 Likes

BTTF for sure! It’s my kid’s favorite too! In fact we all saw it in the theater recently, it was cool for them to experience it on the big screen.

I like it because of the attention to detail. Almost every viewing I notice something new.

For example: in the beginning Marty goes to Twin Pines mall, where Doc says it used to be pine trees, farmed by old man Peabody. Moments later, Marty goes to 1955 where he crashes in to Peabody’s barn, during his escape he runs over one of two pine trees at the end of the driveway. At the end of the move, the mall is now called Lone Pine mall… I literally noticed that only 3 years ago, and I’ve seen it 100 times!

6 Likes

The Shining for sure. Also, The Journey of Natty Gann. It was something I saw as a kid that has stuck with me through my entire life about a girl left in Chicago that hops trains to find her dad in Washington State. There is one more called Sourdough that I love more than anything, but you can only find it on VHS. It’s about an old hermit in Alaska. I have an obsession with mountains and remote wilderness, and I just realized that all three of these movies tie into that somehow. So, I guess that’s why!

4 Likes

My two favorites are Second hand Lions and On Golden Pond

1 Like

Haha, same. The things you DONT notice or care about when you’re an adult! Also- the wife (Marty’s mom) being an alcoholic to sober in the end after he told her she shouldn’t drink so much bc it might be bad for her down the road. Haha. Crazy!

2 Likes

I think it’s going to be a Friday night movie in after reading all of these!

1 Like

Ha no but interesting title

Not sure if it’s a good choice for a sober forum but Pulp Fiction is my favourite film. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve watched it.

6 Likes

My son loved that movie, as a wee lad.

1 Like

Absolutely love fried green tomatoes. Must have watched about 10 times. Dirty dancing is great too . Oh and FOREST GUMP. Can’t beat it

3 Likes

The greatest movie…EVER

1 Like

Goodfellas for sure!

4 Likes

Blazing Saddles always cracks me up!

5 Likes

Big (like, big) Marvel Cinematic Universe fan, so just about any movie there is worth watching to me (if I had to pick one, though, I pick the newest one [because then you have to have seen the other ones to get all the Easter eggs and full enjoyment out of it haha])

Outside Marvel’s movies, I liked The Hunger Games series (very close to the books, in my opinion).

3 Likes