Favourite Books?

Does anybody else read any books?
I guess I’d have to admit that I’m a serious nerd :nerd_face:
I’m currently reading “How to read a book” by Mortimer J Adler
And just recently finished
“Outliers”
By Malcolm Gladwell.

I really enjoyed “Outliers” a lot, and am starting to get into “how to read a book” which is more of a tougher read.

Does anybody have any favourite books they’d like to mention ?
One of my all time favourites is How to win friends and Influence people by Dale Carnegie.

3 Likes

Anything by Dean R Koontz.

1 Like

I love reading. Am currently reading Three Women.

We recently installed a Little Free Library outside our house. My talented friend painted it. I love little libraries and they are fun for our neighborhood. Can’t wait for our grandson to visit, he will love it.

5 Likes

I never read before sobriety. I love reading now. I started reading the Art of Happiness by the Dalai Lama and Howard Cutler last night. I try and mix up fiction, non fiction and a recovery book approximately every three books that I read.

1 Like

Bill Bryson The short history of nearly everything.brilliant read

4 Likes

I really enjoyed a book called Monks and Drunks recently by John Carmichael

1 Like

loved snowcrash, halfway through cryptonomicon right now

1 Like

Absolutely,I found this book fascinating

1 Like

I love reading,have done since I was a little girl and like anything from fantasy to real life to love stories. Harry Potter is obviously near the top of my list :zap: Bill Bryson as already mentioned is a fantastic author,I also like James Patterson & Stephen King…always looking for recommendations or new authors to try so I’ll be keeping a close eye on this thread :blush: :books:

3 Likes

Love this Sassy. I’ve seen them occasionally but you’ve inspired me to build one! Do people leave books behind too?

2 Likes

“She’s Come Undone” by Wally Lamb

3 Likes

Yes! People leave books and take them. It is fun and you get first dibs on the ones they leave. It is especially fun for little kids.

2 Likes

The Sun also Rises

A Farewell to Arms

4 Likes

That’s an awesome idea ! I’ve seen one of these before at the doctors office :upside_down_face:

1 Like

The best book I,be ever read has to be shantaram, no contest :smiley:

1 Like

hearts of atlantis

1 Like

I imagine what you mean. I read it on holiday and didn’t have much else to read. I found it interesting though as it covered find I knew little about at the time. An I right in thinking it’s a true story but classed as fiction due to the guards repeatedly destroying it whilst he was in prison or was I bs,d in to thinking that :smiley:

Anything by Wally Lamb is a winner.
All time favorite is Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck. The most beautiful writing, really. Siddartha by Hermann Hesse is also a standout for lovely prose.
I love historical fiction, classics, well…pretty much anything other than crime/mystery stuff.
I like that genre on the TV.

I have kept a spreadsheet of my reading for over 20 years and it makes a pretty telling graph of how much I’d been drinking at any given moment in time. Not much reading when I’ve been drinking.

5 Likes

Yes, yes, yes!! I love Hesse, I think Narcissus and Goldmund is my favourite, but everything I have read of his is outstanding.

1 Like

Adding that to my “to read list”. Thank you!

1 Like