Feeing burnt out on AA... advice?

As of recent, I’ve been feeling really burnt out on AA. The socializing aspect is nice, but the meetings are starting to all sound the same. I don’t want to go out and get drunk or high or anything. I just am burnt out on AA. Any advice or suggestions from people who have been there?

2 Likes

Could try a new approach like SMART RECOVERY and many other groups. AA is no longer the only choice as it was for many years.

I decided to try alternatives and so far it’s been enjoyable and interesting to come at my problem from a different approach.

The suggestion that AA is the only way to stay sober is not accurate.

Wish you well :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ll have 3 years sober in less than a month. I’ve done all my steps twice with my sponsors and I’ve gone to a lot of different meetings, I have a commitment at a home group, and it’s all just kinda wearing me down a lil bit.

Have you tried service work. maybe start your own meeting ,or try another program , note i only do the steps with my guys again only if they go out try again wish you well

1 Like

I feel like a lot of people come to a point in their recovery where it is time to shift focus. Not lose focus, but shift it a bit. I don’t go to AA, but I do a mental health based recovery through a center for psychiatric and chemical dependency. My focus has shifted a lot towards moving forward in life, with recovery at the back of my mind. I feel comfortable with this, and positive about it. I’ve well over 2 years clean and it’s time to find MY balance in life. Sometimes I go and just bitch like I’m talking to a friend, and my therapist love it! But I also get into deep shit other times, mostly mental health related these days. That’s my balance.

Find what works for you! Definitely don’t abandon your recovery program, but fit it into your life on lifes terms.

P.s. This advice is NOT for newcomers. This is advice and conversation with a fellow addict who has a solid foundation in place and has been living it for an extended period of time.

9 Likes

Thank you! Yeah, I’m not going to stop being sober just because I’m feeling burnt out on AA nor am I planning on quitting AA by any means, but I got sober to do more than just go to AA meetings and talk about sobriety all the time, and I think I’ve found myself getting burnt out on all things recovery. I’m going to talk to my sponsor about it today, but I definitely think I just need balance between AA and non AA folk, and just life in general. Some people love, breathe and drink AA that works for them. I was miserable drinking and using and never wanna get back to that point or drink. I just wanna spice things up in my life.

3 Likes

This sounds very healthy and aware to me. I can understand the feeling of not wanting to focus your life on sobriety 24/7; especially if you are feeling solid and are honest with yourself. Do what works for YOU. :heart:

6 Likes

I’ve had that feeling from time to time and in only 15 months.

I reckon its a balance thing, and balance swings. Obviously talking to our sponsor is wise. Sometimes we need to ask what’s the next thing for real growth though?

So I’ll find other healthy activities I’ve been putting off or not making time for and ease up my meeting schedule for a time.

Gasp, Eke, that isn’t in the book!”

Maybe not. But I reckon to practice these principles in all our affairs, we need some other affairs worth tending to, yeah? And some of those things were on my inventory, to be fair.

So I stay close and do a few meetings a week still, one a commitment. But also took up joining other groups and building up new social/community circles again.

And y’know, the program has certainly helped with that! Many new adventures being with good people from the rooms, just outside the rooms.

5 Likes

This is my biggest driver for wanting to try alternatives. The year I spent at AA it seemed to be all I thought about and it wears you down. I wanted to get to a place where I don’t want a drink or even think about it, certainly not on a daily basis at least.

The people I met at the AA seemed to be completely obsessed by AA and for me it didn’t feel right. Maybe this is partly because my alcohol use disorder did not include drinking every day or even every week and also because I had not lost everything else in my life as many had and still had my wife, children, career etc in my life.

I suppose ultimately the top level point is that whatever works for you and whatever you need is correct, there is no right or wrong

2 Likes

@SoberGuyUSA I also went to 2-3 meetings and it was so depressing and people were into some heavy shit…coke, fentanyl, heroin…I just couldn’t relate. I’m at day 70 and outside of a day here or there I haven’t craved much since the first week. I considered a SMART meeting yesterday and discovered it was in meeting room at a gas station so I passed. I agree with the above comment about AA obsessed people, I don’t judge, I just don’t think it’s for me.

Been involved with AA for decades have a great life living life sober have been for over 33 years AA dosnt rule my life im just gratefull it was there to save my life if you can get on ANY program that will benifit your journey in recovery i wish you well

2 Likes

When I was getting a little carried away with multiple meetings and commitments and everything else AA, my sponsor put it to me like this…
The reason we got sober is to enjoy life. So go enjoy life. AA will be just fine without you. If you go to meetings and clean house, trust God and help another alcoholic then you will be just fine to go and enjoy life

6 Likes