Feel like I'm drowning

Hi there. I’m new to the app and don’t really know where to begin. I’ve recently come to the realization that I am most definitely an addict and I also struggle w bipolar disorder and more than likely a few other mental health problems. I have destroyed most of my relationships and more than anything I have destroyed myself. I am feeling very lost right now and unsure. I just started taking my medication for bipolar so I’m hoping with some time that should help ease these nervous feelings. I’m also finding it very difficult to open up and face my past. I’m having very irrational thoughts and I’m taking them out on the few ppl I have left in my life, my family and my roommate. Everyday I feel like I am in a constant battle with myself. There’s this voice in my head that tells me to just give up. That I’m worthless and incapable. That the world would more than likely be better off without me. Has anyone else felt this way before? What did you find helped you cope?

Hi and welcome. My thing is alcohol. However I can relate to the feelings you are having. There were times I was so depressed and nothing mattered. I wasn’t living I was existing.

I new something had to change because I was not happy and I had isolated myself from almost everyone.

I quit drinking because I wanted better. The pain had over ome the fear not to drink. Fast forward to now and it was the best choice I could have made.

I would suggest talking to your doctor and getting in a program. That’s what I did and it worked. You can also try NA meetings. You will meet others with the same issue and make friends. You will find the support you need.

Keep coming back here. It’s a great place and there are fantastic people here.

You can do this!

3 Likes

Ive definitely felt this way… In fact, it would be difficult to find anyone on this forum that hasn’t struggled in the way your describing yourself!

Part of the disease with addiction is just that. It creates the feeling you’re “Not Enough” for yourself or anyone else that’s considered family, friends and even strangers.

Coping; First and foremost don’t use anymore! It’s so simple and so difficult. I know I’ve been there. I think, I had multiple mental health issues all stemming from my alcohol abuse. Putting time and separation between you and your use was the turning point for me. Find a way to be accountable to yourself and your goals! Some people journal, use a recovery program or have solid sober friends. I personally make gym, diet and church my sanctuary to not use. It’s my accountability to myself!

Change your habits and perspectives you change your life!

2 Likes

Hi I can relate pretty closely to your story. I hurt the one I love the most under the influence of drugs and alcohol, I abused my prescription drugs as well amphetamines. My thoughts have been every where. Extremely emotional also. What I have found to help is talking with other sober supports. I find just being able to talk about or journaling is helpful to muscle through erratic thoughts just bw patient with yourself as someone has told me.

2 Likes

Thank-you all so much for the advice and encouragement. I definitely am thinking AA meetings should be my next course of action. Really curious to learn more about the 12 step program and how I can utilize it in my sobriety. I’m so happy that you all were able to overcome the demon that is alcohol. It gives me hope.

2 Likes