Feel to embarrassed to go to Dr to get suboxone

The title says it all, anyone have any stories on what I might expect if I decide to do this? I’ve come to the conclusion I can not stop on my own, it doesn’t work and I can not afford to get kratom because it takes so long to arrive I’m wding within hours of my last use (I don’t use a lot of oxycodone, 50mg a day total on a good day of finding money / working)… I’m an open book on here cause it’s anonymous, no way in hell I’d go to NA…its sad I know… Lookin gn for support not criticism, I get enough of that…

You can do this, @KeepGoing. Just go to the doctor. It beats doing what you’ve been doing for the past six months. We support you. Don’t just do nothing. That’s Insanity.

4 Likes

I sorry that you feel this way… dont let what others think get in the way of your decision to sober. When you decide to sober (quite) a habit there will always a set of people who will encourage you and others with discourage you.

If you believe that is a correct statement then go to a doc and dont give a shit about what a doc may think or how embaressing it may sound. You have to admit to someone that there is a problem and there os no better person then a stranger (doctor).

Good luck and Welcome!! We are all here because we are just like you.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the replies, someone is bringing me some suboxone to see if it will help me, I will eventually go to the doctor but I’ve heard horror stories about countless people getting stuck with huge bills, or paying 1$ a mg for suboxone (just like I pay for percs it’s rediculous) and I can’t afford that, I have health insurance (really good health insurance with blue cross blue shield through work, but I DEFINATELY DON’T WANT THEM FINDING OUT ABOUT MY PROBLEM EITHER)

1 Like

Just wanted to inform you that due to laws like HIPPA it is illegal for your employer to know anything about your health…including addiction

3 Likes

This is very good to know, I appreciate you sharing this information with me! I got my hands on 2 8mg suboxone strips, I am going to try them tomorrow when I am withdrawing and see if it helps! @Dan_Alexander I’m not too sure either bro but I got my hands on some so I’m going to try it (didn’t pay for them either!)

2 Likes

I just wanted to add that u am going to cut 1mg out of them, not take them both at the same time, I’m not that naive lol

Oh my gosh don’t take suboxone until at least 3 days after your last opiate. You will go into immediate and violent withdrawal . Also just a heads up that 8mg of suboxone is equivalent to 150-300 mg of oxycodone. You will have a harder time getting off the suboxone in the long run bit if you really can’t stop the oxy and feel this is your only option then go for it. Try to only use 2mg and only for 2 weeks maximum before weening. Good luck!

3 Likes

Personally I don’t agree with sub or methadone maintenance…I was an avid heroin addict who couldn’t stop using to save my own life…in my opinion substituting one habit for another isn’t beneficial to anyone…I’ve tried both but in my experience all I did was pick up another habit…like when I ran out of subs I shot dope or vice versa…maybe try detox and complete abstinenance…or do whatever you like…experience will teach you better then any words will…beware the maintenance programs!!!

4 Likes

Despite the insurance info above, I also agree with not using suboxone or methadone. I work in the healthcare field and honestly have never seen someone taper of suboxones. I even had an addiction doctor tell me he never planned on tapering off his patients b/c addiction is a life long disease and it’s more about harm reduction. Is that what you really want? Trading in one addiction for another? The goal of my addiction it to be free from the slavery of a substance. I am sick of planning my life around drugs and withdrawals. If I am going to be depressed or sad, I want it to be b/c some sad shit happened to me. Not b/c my brain is suffering from lack of drugs. Just my two cents though. However what you do it ultimately is up to you.

4 Likes

If you had Strep, you’d ask.
If you had a sinus infection, you’d ask.
If you bronchitis, you’d ask.
If you had Cancer, you’d ask.

Go ask.

Best,
Chandler

5 Likes

Damn, powerful replies on here, I’ve ignored them for 11 days now, and today I took suboxone because I realized I have a choice here, I could keep buying pills off the street and risk incarceration on a daily basis, or I could take suboxone and try to get on with my life as normally as possible, no I do not want to be on a substitute drug for the rest of my life but I realize thay right now I’m being so destructive that this is the least destructive path for me, so I am going to take it, thank you all for the replies!
Keepgoing

1 Like

Suboxone is a dream drug for me. Ive been addicted to opiates/pain pills for 5 years. Suboxone totally takes away the physical withdrawal…though u still have to fight the mental cravings. However the mental cravings are far less on suboxone than without. Dont be embarrassed. Be proud of yourself for looking for ways to help you. My husband had been getting suboxone from a psychiatrist, but now ge gets them off the street, which is not recommended.
Totally give yourself a fighting chance and get a script from a doctor. It really does help. Good luck!

I got these off the street, I am still embarrassed to go but I’m going to have to go if I want to get more, so I will end up going, I heard they are really expensive through a doc, although I have good insurance from my job, not sure though.

One further note- with the amount of opiates u take, u can totally cut into small pieces. I typically take a small piece in morn and small piece in evening. I find with suboxone that i need less than i think. I can make 1 strip last 6 to 7 days. I was taking roughly 60 to 90 mg a day of opiates. One precaution, i was taking sub with opiates in same day for awhile - sub in morn and opiate in evening. Never got sick. I found that i craved opiates in evening when i was only taking sub in morn. So if u start to get cravings, take that small piece of sub in evening to get u through…hope this helps…

1 Like

The doc my husband went to charged $150 for the appointment - she didn’t take any insurance-- but insurance covered the script…only $5.00. The script lasted for 2 to 4 weeks, but we were both taking it (she didn’t know). I suggest u tell the doc u r taking more opiates than you are that way you get a bigger script that lasts longer in between appointments…

1 Like

Thank you so much for the advice, I did cut the strip (8mg strip into about 3mg today) and I will most likely go see a doctor when these strips are done, they are working miracles for me as of right now, staying strong.

Keep going

3 Likes

I understand suboxone is just trading one addiction for another, but this stuff is amazing and I do not have any cravings for anythjng as of right now while on it, I feel “normal” if that makes sense, I recommend this to anyone who is struggling to stop using any type of opiate, it’s really really helping! The worst part of withdrawl for me is the lower back pain and restlessness and it has completely subsided those symptoms. Though this is just like hour 15 I feel confident.

Keep going

2 Likes

You CAN do this!

1 Like

I used suboxone to get off heroin & I truly believe it saved my life. I couldn’t do cold turkey. & where I’m from u have to see a “special” doctor that only prescribes suboxone so first of all, he was really understanding. Told me I was making the right decision, congratulated me for making a step in the right direction. & I was in & out super fast. Throughout the weeks I tampered down from them & now im clean from it all & I would never ever go back to my old lifestyle.
Good for u! & good luck!
Doing something is better then doing nothing!

3 Likes