Feeling a little depressed can't stop relapsing

I can’t seem to stay sober. I’m getting too comfortable with resetting and then regretting it. So hard to stay clean when everyone around me drinks and treats me like a reject in life for trying to quit drinking. They just don’t get my struggle. So frustrated.

You might be on to something there. This struggle is yours. It’s yours to protect and progress. And they won’t understand what you are going through unless they are fighting the same battle. So what do you need to do to stop this cycle

4 Likes

Before I stopped 18 day ago, I would always end up drinking with my friends … They all like common ur the one that tought me to drink bla bla bla ! But I feel you, we live in a society where alcohol is seen like normal when it really is a drug ! The habit is hard to kick because it’s everywhere you go, in the restaurants, pubs, family and friends dinners, on the radio, in TV and arggggg that’s frustrating … but it really is to find within yourself the strength to do it, for some is to a a certain motivation, the first one is really about health then it’s up to you … in my case, after one week of sobriety I found myself enjoying going outside and do sports and making music etc, if ur friends reject you then they are not really nice to you… they should help and support you … ! I deleted drinking friends from my life and kept the real ones… I wish you good luck and don’t hesitate if you need to talk ! Take care

3 Likes

Realize I’m not doing it for them I’m doing it for me and my health and sanity. I just hate it when my supposed closest friends and family and coworkers look at me like I have a third head when I tell them I quit drinking. My husband tries to help and says he is supportive but then I come home from work and there are bottles of rum and coke on the counter and he’s chillin with his friends getting drunk in front of me. I just have to be stronger and accept that I am going to be the odd ball out.

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Don’t stress. I had blackouts followed by ‘day one’s’ followed by blackouts. And then something clicked… And I’m sure it will for you, so don’t give up on giving up. The day that did it for me was when I changed my thinking around my ‘day one’… I thought of it as stepping through a doorway into another world, and closing the door behind me and locking it. In effect, locking that day one up forever. But here’s the thing, now it’s my job to protect that day one, the one I had locked away… Protect it like it’s my most valuable possession (or even like my life depends on keeping it safe, which it pretty much does), and no one is ever going to get to it. Because, if anyone or anything gets to it then it’ll be gone, and I won’t have anything to keep me safe anymore. And that scares me… Scares me that I’ll lose my day one, and I’ll then have to spend time searching for a new one… And we all know how hard they are to come by…
Day 71 for me… Stay focused… Stay strong…

1 Like

If drunk is normal, I want to be the weirdest person in the room.

Do you know what an “outlier” is? That’s someone who is outside of the statistical norm for a group. If you are the smartest person in the room, you are an outlier. If you are the designated driver in a car full of drunks, you are an outlier. If there is a power outage, and you are the only one with a flashlight, you are an outlier.

Here’s the truth about being an outlier: In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. In a blackout, the one with a flashlight is automatically in charge.

If your friends and family want to drink and treat you like you are strange for being sober, consider the “yardstick”.

Eagles don’t flock. Seagulls do. Which would you rather be?

11 Likes

Coming from a pretty alcohol-infused Italian family, I can relate.
Not about the friends or co-workers, I haven’t got any of those, but still, it is sometimes a bummer to be the odd person out.
But, I read a book by a bloke named Alan Carr, and the one part of the book that REALLY stuck with me, is the fact that by not drinking, you aren’t DEPRIVING yourself of anything, but rather FREEING yourself from years of BS and propaganda (and money-wasting), courtesy of alcohol companies, movies and, not to mention, often well-meaning friends and family members.
Do it for YOU.

1 Like

I love your post @Yoda-Stevie Great words as usual

1 Like

Know your drivers, sometimes the closest people in your life can be triggers, because they judge you and they don’t understand why you are addicted. They have these expectations of you and then when you fall you feel soo bad and it doesn’t help your self esteem but deep down you know how hard you are working to stay sober. I have had to to start setting boundaries for certain people, mostly family members, it’s been very hard. But at the end of the day if it’s going to help me in life and for me to be happy I have to try it, I have to try something different because what I was doing in the past wasn’t working. Maybe you can relate? Because I can relate with what you are saying. It’s hard!
I wish you all the luck in the world. Be strong.

2 Likes

Know your triggers*. ^

Thats very well Said. U nailed it with that post. Pretty clear . Thank u

1 Like

Sounds like you need to do something different! Any options come to mind?