Feeling annoyed and fustrated

So Ive been sober for almost 32 days. I feel great that Ive come this far… I live in a house with roomates, my bf and his dad. Everyone drinks. Noone has a problem controlling how much they drink except me… Im the only one who bindges out for days. Anyways everyone is constintly bring alcohol around. Theres beer in the fridge (my favorate kind) and vodka in the cabnits. I feel unfair asking everyone not to deink around me so I dont. My bf is what gets to me the most. I wish he would just cut back and if he wanted a few drinks do it while Im at work or not home. But so far another night around alcohol. Its hard to contain myself and Ik its wrong, but I get jealose of those who drink around me!

3 Likes

Hang in there. Remember you are the one that will suffer by drinking, not them. If you had a peanut allergy, would you feel the same if they were eating peanut butter cookies in front of you? I look at drinking in the same way… It’s just something I don’t get to have anymore… That is unless I have a death wish.

9 Likes

There are times I wish I could drink like a normal person. I however know I cant so I can relate.

Its not being selfish its practicing self care. Take care of you and focus on that.

1 Like

I agree with this as well, but being in the early stages of recovery myself… this is very difficult. That’s why people in recovery are advised to cut out party friends or anyone that triggers them. I don’t think she has to go that extreme though. She’s not asking them to quit completely, just to be mindful about it if she is around. Which I think is a fair thing to ask from family and people who are supposed to care about you.

Andrea, have you tried bringing it up to them? They’ll never know how you’re feeling if you don’t vocalize it. You know how drunk people are… they tend to forget shit. Just stay persistent and they should eventually get the message.

2 Likes

I will be sober for one month tomorrow ! Hang in there!

3 Likes

That’s a hard situation to be in for sure. My wife dirnks still. I never asked her to cut back. She’s a normie and can and usually only has 1 if that, glass of wine a night. I don’t think it would hurt to ask him, your bf, to cut back a bit.
But, alcohol will always be around your whole life. I’m more annoyed by people drinking now than anything. You’ll build up those sober muscles more and more. It’ll get easier and easier.
Personally I had to break that thought process that it was fun, because it’s not. The next day, or even after a couple,a slurring drunk isn’t as fun as they think… me. That was me every time, and that was every night.

4 Likes

Hey, sorry you’re feeling frustrated. Congratulations on your sobriety though! Have you read Alan Carr’s Easy Way for alcohol? I read that one really early in recovery and it definitely shifting my understanding of what I was “missing out on” for me, my paradigm shifted and not drinkingbecame something I wanted to do …not something I had to do. Stay strong out there today💪🏼

1 Like

Thanks Im going to check it out!

How are things going now Andrea?

1 Like

Still havent had a drink! Almost caved the night I posted this but stuck it out!

2 Likes

Jeff and Andrea, rooting for you guys! Andrea dont be shy to insist that if they love you they respect your struggle and be more supportive. If theres a cabinet full of triggers surely they need to help you by clearing house

2 Likes