Feeling drained

Hi everyone. I’m on day 32 of leaving alcohol. It’s been tough and im proud I’m finally sticking to it this time! I haven’t gone this long without alcohol in almost 10 years!! :flushed:
Anyhow, the longer I go, the more exhausted and unmotivated I feel to do anything physical. I’m just simply too tired but I really don’t want to be!
Ive read a few articles saying that the fatigue should last a couple week’s and then taper off but I feel like my exhaustion is doing the opposite.
Has anyone else had this happen? And how long does it last? Thanks in advance! :grin::grin:

3 Likes

Do you think you could do 5 min of a simple exercise? I find when I’m just going back into working out and moving more, starting out small really helps.

Try jumping jacks or bicep curls with some jars of pasta sauce-unless you already have dumbbells. Shoulder press, toe touches, and hamstring stretches.

Your body will get used to pushing yourself, but you just gotta start. Congrats on 32 days :blush:

1 Like

Yes, I kinda experienced the same thing. It slowly got better for me once I hit day about 50. After two months I had a lot more energy. Hang in there!

There was a huge energy lag between 2 to 4 months. It completely went away.

Give your body time to recover and repair itself and you’ll come out of the other side in a much better place. On or where you are now.

At one point I was napping every afternoon and tired all of the time. Last night I slept from midnight until 630, had a mellow day at work, just ran 4 1/2 miles and know that I’m gonna push through and tell bed around 10 tonight. That was unfathomable three months ago!

1 Like

I experienced the same lasted about 3 months didn’t want to do anything besides sleep and eat now I feel pretty good and make it through most days without a nap

1 Like

I’m on day 55 and the tiredness comes and goes, I find that if I make a point of doing something in the morning it sets me up for the day, exercise or even walking into town and back

1 Like

Yes, this happened to me to. It lasted 3 or so months. Then my energy came back and then some. Hang in there it will be worth it i promise

2 Likes

Oh this post is so helpful and promising! I’m almost 4 months and my fatigue feels almost debilitating. I’ve never felt anything like it. I push through, go to the gym 6 mornings a week, and do what I need and want to do, but it just feels like my body is betraying me. I was expecting to feel like a million bucks right away. It’s worth the wait though! Hang in there it’s so much better than the alternative.

2 Likes

Sounds like PAWS to me. Post Acute Withdrawl Syndrome. Once the detoxing and acute withdrawal is over there is still a lot of chemical balancing to do. The symptoms range from chronic fatigue like symptoms, depression, anxiety, and worst of all (for me), brain fog. PAWS comes is waves, from short to long. I struggle with all those damn symptoms. The depression part for me is sneaky because I don’t feel sad for the most part. Depression is so much more than the sadness. Headaches, lack of energy and focus are huge depression symptoms, even more prevalent than sadness.

PAWS doesn’t last forever. It’s super annoying but it does get better. Medications may complicate things or make them better. It’s a rollercoaster, but for me, even just knowing what it is helps me tremendously!

2 Likes