Feeling empty

Day 9 for me today and god I feel so empty. I have no troubles and my life is good. I haven’t got a partner and feel lonely. I just feel as if the fun has been sucked right out of me. I guess I still associate drink with letting loose and having fun. Is this normal everyone. Am on a downer. On the plus side I’m turning here instead of alcohol.

8 Likes

Very normal feelings for sure-- keep checking in it gets better!!

1 Like

Definitely normal. I found that when I got clean , I had no idea what I liked or what I was good at. I decided to fill my extra time with random things I found to do around my city. Yoga/classes/museums/sports. I was surprised to find out I was good at things that I never thought about doing. Maybe give it a try? You might make some new friends while your at it :blush:

7 Likes

What you’re feeling is what most people feel when they are not checking out of life. Most of the time people are not intoxicated and nothing is going on. The thing to keep in mind is that this is good. The time is going to come when you’re going to want this. When the feelings start coming that you don’t know how to deal with without alcohol or drugs, you’re going to want to feel like this. Alcoholics use alcohol as a solution for not having to deal with boredom, sadness, anger, anguish, or any other feeling. Now that we decide to be sober it is all strange and weird to us. We have to figure out a way to live. Get plugged in to a local group of sober people and ask them how to do it. Be willing to take Direction and feel uncomfortable. there is so much life to be lived sober.

4 Likes

Thank u for replying. Staying strong have a good sober day x

Thank you for replying I’m feeling very tired at the moment hopefully I will look into new interests soon.

1 Like

Thank u for replying ur reply makes perfect sense. How long have you been sober for?

Day 10 for me and i feel you. Im used to going to fancy parties and exciting events and getting drunk so this feels like hitting a brick wall. I have been on and off with sobriety since December and i would only drink weekends but now im ready to take the stretch for my health. I have been struggling everyday because i feel as if my life will seem boring forever but i know with staying sober this feeling will eventually pass with new things that fills up my life that is positive. We have to learn to find new hobbies that doesn’t involve alochol

Hang in there @Bigbird. It will get better. I had moments of feeling my energy returning intermingled then with extreme tiredness. Just keep reminding yourself, your body is healing. Get out for short walks or some sort of exercise. It really helps your peace of mind. Stay strong!

1 Like

Your doing great. There is a lot to process and start to come to terms with during the first bit of sobriety, keep a positive outlook like it seems you have already. Keep it up!

I’m the same, no partner, live by myself, feel like it’s less fun, but in turn it’s been more interesting how much self-improvement you can make, over time.

2 Likes

Yesterday I celebrated being sober for 24 hours. I have managed to celebrate being sober for 24 hours 23 months in a row.

4 Likes

I am having more fun now that I am sober. Beleive me, we are not a glum lot.

2 Likes

Thank you all for you replies, Day 10 today, still feeling tired so am just chilling out with Netflix. Staying positive.

1 Like

I’m not sure about you, but when I drink I was trying to find a connection to people. Something that was missing from my life was that I always felt left out and out of place. What I was looking for when I drank was the feeling of belonging. So from that first drink that feeling went away. And the reason that I Associated fun with drinking was because from the second I put alcohol into my body I had a false sense of security and ease. I think being sober and working the 12 steps with my sponsor, makes me realize that I am a whole person that people can get to know one like. But most importantly I have gotten to know myself and I like and appreciate myself. So I can still go to parties, concerts, restaurants, and all types of social events and have a fun time by myself or with friends. Through Alcoholics Anonymous I have learned how to interact with people and not need alcohol to do it. When I first got to Alcoholics Anonymous and started my journey with sobriety, I thought that my life was over and that I was never going to have any more fun. But the way I was drinking drove me to the Edge of Insanity. And that Insanity had me balancing certain death if I continue drinking or a life beyond my wildest imagination if I followed the steps laid before me. And believe it or not it was such a difficult choice to make. In hindsight I should have done this way before I actually did

4 Likes

Your right. So far the people that i have cut off its because i only could tolerate being around them because of alochol. I always feel better after that first drink and all of my inhibitions are lowered and i feel relaxed and less on edge. I am considering going to AA i think i need to take my sobriety to the next level

I totally get this. I hope you can find peace soon. I don’t know if three feelings ever go away but hopefully we can learn to live with them. Xx

For me AA was the difference. I am alive today because of AA.

I always found I could feel absolutely slaughtered and ready for bed early on a Friday night after work. A few bottles of wine down and I could make it through to 3AM easy. Paid for it the next day though.

I understand the emptiness. For me it feels like the person I used to be that I neglected by drowning them in the pool of alcohol. I’m ready to face that person and nurture them back to who they used to be :slight_smile:

I found myself drinking more when my son would go with his dad for the weekend. I thought at first it was “my me time” no responsibility kind of. Then I realized that I was bored and felt utterly alone when he was gone. I’ve been single for 5yrs now, and as much as I want a partner I know I’m not ready. Learning to live with the emptiness and boredom is my new job. Congrats on day 10 @Bigbird