Feeling like I'll never make it 😞

What’s a zoom meeting? :grin:

because of the virus meetings are now available on the zoom app google it it will put you on the path , there is a zoom here on Tuesdays and sat

1 Like

There is a saying…

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different result”

It’s time to reflect on what youve been doing over the last 6 years to achieve sobriety. If it is just not drinking then you know now that it isn’t enough.

Then you need to make a list of things that you CAN do and decide which ones you’re willing to do do. Then do it. If what you first try doesn’t work go to the next thing on your list etc etc etc until you find the thing that works for you!!

YOU CAN DO IT!!

4 Likes

Thank you VSue Ive said that saying to myself over and over :see_no_evil:. I think one problem is I get talked into drinking even when I said I don’t drink now. I also don’t get invited out anymore once I’ve said Ive quit and feel really left out of things. I’m not even sure I can make a list as I’m not sure what might work.

1 Like

Sounds like you may need to find a different crowd, me and my girlfriend definitely don’t hang out with the same people we once did because of my drinking problem. I know not everybody is religious but it helped us getting to know other young couples at church, and obviously spending more time with family.

3 Likes

hi, allison! good to have you on here!

if you don’t want to quit, it’s no surprise you’re not making it past day 4 because you’re not really trying. if you do want to quit… it is going to take some serious willpower. you have to accept that you are powerless over alcohol and your life has become unmanageable. thats really important.

get into virtual meetings. remove yourself from the drinkers around you. politely bow out of drinking functions and pick up some new hobbies - stat. you can do this if you really want it. remember that :heart:

5 Likes

Hi yes my main problem is its my daughter and my husband :pensive:

1 Like

Thank you Jennajen I guess I have just tried to get through it. I once had alcohol counselling but every time they talked about alcohol I wanted to drink. That was a good few years ago tho. My problem is its my family that drink.

Yes I did really want it before and was talked back into it now I just find myself saying one more night and I’ll quit which of course never happens.

1 Like

I know I think that’s whats so hard. I absolutely make my mind up and that goes completely out the window as soon as an opportunity comes up. I can’t believe I went 12 weeks with everyone drinking around me

Not to be harsh, but unless your family is literally holding you down and pouring the alcohol down your throat, they are not the reason you drink. Their drinking triggers your desire to drink - but you are the only one that is responsible for your actions. As addicts, we need to stop blaming others for our circumstances. They’re on their own journey, and you are on yours. Who knows - you may even become an inspiration for them when you decide to fully commit to being sober!

Have you tried AA? It’s almost impossible to do this alone, and AA would not only expose you to other people with the common goal of sobriety but also help you learn to tap into the strength of a higher power when you’re struggling

*Edited for typo

5 Likes

Great minds! Basically just commented the same thing at the same time :black_heart:

2 Likes

I can’t do anything that has anything remotely religious involved. I agree that I can be an inspiration for them hence why I said maybe I don’t want to quit enough but I also can’t see a future carrying on drinking. I just need to make the commitment and not budge from it. It’s very difficult when your family are saying lets go out and I’m just home alone.

1 Like

“It’s very difficult when your family are saying lets go out and I’m just home alone.”

Hey, I say look at that time alone as a time to focus on yourself. When I am not invited places or choose not to go, I try and see it as a positive thing. Now I have me time where I can relax, unwind, journal, take a long bath, light some candles, watch a chick flick, etc.

I found that before I quit drinking I hated sitting at the house alone because I always felt like I was missing out on something. But now I prefer my alone and down time. :two_hearts:

2 Likes

I’m not religious either. There’s a difference between religion and spirituality. Something like half of the people that enter AA identify as atheist or agnostic. There was a time in my life when I identified as an atheist, but have gotten a lot out of the spiritual aspect of things over time. Your higher power can literally be anything - the universe, nature, or even an image of your own making. And you don’t need to have a grasp of that when you start, that’s what steps 2 and 3 are all about. All you need is a willing and open mind.
That said, SMART is a science-based approach group so that may work better for you. https://www.smartrecovery.org/

4 Likes

hi, of course you want to quit. if you do nothing else today read the doctors opinion in the big book. it’s online, if you’ve read it read it again.

1 Like

Yes that’s what I did before and had forgotten. I used to use the time to watch something on TV and be by myself

1 Like

Thank you Jane.c :blush:

2 Likes

You’ve got this! We’re all here to support you and encourage you along the way! Come here any time you have a craving or urge to drink and we can help you through it :two_hearts:

1 Like

Well, look at you Paul… that’s some good advice right there. :heart:

3 Likes