Feeling like such a failure

Made it to day 6 and then drank again…now I feel like crap and I have what I call the “mom guilt” because I’m hungover. Feel like such a failure. I just want to be able to quit and not ever look back but it’s so hard and I hate it. Any advice?

2 Likes

Sorry to hear. But don’t be to hard on yourself! You have made it to 6, so you can make it to 7 days this time. Try to learn from your relapse so you become stronger. What was it that made you drink en how can you avoid that next time? Makes changes in your habit, because you want to CHANGE yourself.
It helps me to come here every day and check in sober. I have no alcohol in my house and a fridge full with food. When I have craving I eat ore go for a walk :sunglasses:

3 Likes

What was it that made you drink on day 6? You need to find some alternatives for when you get cravings and get some tools in your toolkit that help you say no to the first drink. Did you have alcohol already in your house? If you do…get rid of it!! I can’t even count the days I had to parent hungover- I felt like a POS parent every time. I had no energy, no patience… and I am happy that I never have to be like that in the morning again. Trust me, saying goodbye to alcohol will be the best decision you ever make for you and for your kids. In my first 2 months I went to the gym everyday and that helped a lot. Have you thought about finding a program? AA? SMART? It also helps tremendously… you got this mama. Electrolytes today, go to bed early, and wake up tomorrow ready to get serious about staying sober :heart:

4 Likes

She’s calling it mom guilt because now she has to parent her kids hungover all day and she feels guilty about it. But yes, drunk guilt/ mom guilt… all it what you will try both feel horrible :disappointed:

3 Likes

Thank you for your kind words :heart: it really helps

1 Like

It’s done. Look back at it long enough to learn the lesson, and then turn around and march forward.

In competition fighting, there is a saying: "If I win, I win. If I lose, I learn.

You lost this round in your battle. Settle your heart, your mind, and your spirit. Put your mouthpiece back in, stand up, and answer the bell.

You can win, if you keep answering the bell.

5 Likes

I also feel mom guilt when I parent my kids with their ipads. This week I have been super ill and every night I have given them technology babysitters because I just don’t have the energy for anything else :rofl: Mom guilt is real haha

4 Likes

You know…it’s my bias that the hardest things for moms to do is to take care of themselves and recovery is all about taking care of ones healthy self. The struggle is real for you no doubt.

At the same time, it’s about recommitting and working forward. It is also important to look back and see what may have pushed you over the edge. Is it lack of boundaries? Emotionally overwhelmed? Cravings? Loneliness? Etc

We’re here for you.

1 Like

To be honest I think Friday night drinks have just become such a ritual. I drink once a week that’s it. But that one day has become such a habit and its really hard to break

AWESOME! You’ve narrowed it down to Friday. You know what you’re up against. Some spiritual practices teach the idea of “if you want to say no, you need to know what to say yes to”. So no to drinking Friday night. What’s the YES that’ll replace it? Who can help you with that?

1 Like

I would love to just forget about drinking on a Friday night and spend it completely with my son. I was so set on that last week. I even set reminders on my phone to kind of keep me on track but once the idea was in my head that was it. All that went out the window unfortunately

Battles are lost but the war is far from over. That’s good that you’ve been moving in that direction and tried to make plans. Do you have people you can reach out to or who can keep you accountable? Maybe we can post here and remind you on Fridays?

Sorry not trying to be a pain. Just thinking out loud

1 Like

Dont apologize at all. I have support I guess but nothing like I would find on here. Nobody else in my life has any issues with alcohol so they just dont get it.

I feel parent guilt all the time, it’s definitely something I have to work on daily. I feel it less now that I’m not constantly either drunk or hungover however

Hope you’re feeling better!! When will you get a break?

2 Likes

I can’t wait to feel good pretty much every day! And I don’t get breaks from parenting if that’s what you’re referring to. I have my son 24/7 except when hes at school!

1 Like

Hey Stephanie! Sorry I was responding to @Allicat388 but I totally know where you’re coming from and how you’re feeling. I tried so many times to quit, and felt so terrible every time I would be in bed hungover not taking care of my responsibilities (kids etc).

I say this a lot on here, but you don’t have to feel this way ever again because of alcohol. Don’t pick up the first drink. And don’t put yourself in situations where you’ll be tempted the first 30+ days. Focus on how you feel waking up every morning not hungover and how you feel every night going to bed with a clear mind. Write down what being sober could mean for you. Do this for yourself first. You are not “just a mom” getting sober for your kids. You’re getting sober for yourself to feel positive about yourself every day, and start actually living a well rounded life, FREE from alcohol.

2 Likes

Possibly tomorrow if my husband takes a day off this week. I thought I was getting better but this morning it’s moved into my chest and possibly has become a sinus infection. Baby was up all night… he projectile vomited on me twice from coughing so hard… thank goodness all I am is tired today, and not hungover :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

You should try hitting some A A meetings and get connected with some women in sobriety. I know it’s hard and embarrassing but it will save your life! I’ve relapsed multiple time s and my hardest time was stepping in the door again and admitting i screwed up again. But don’t put all that misery on yourself were alcoholics,and we drink if we don’t have the right people in our lives that tell us continuously that were doing the right thing! Stay positive things will get better you’re not a failure!!!

3 Likes

You have to keep that terrible feeling close at first, so it can keep you motivated and serves as a reminder why you don’t drink. Write down everything and read it over and over if you have to. I was there too, relapsing every 3rd day.

2 Likes

Thank you! I definitely want to check out a meeting some time

3 Likes