Feeling Nervous

I am feeling nervous for the weekend. There’s a big pool tournament that I am going to with my OH this weekend. It lasts Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. We go every year and it’s a big drinking event. We get a huge plastic mug with pool balls and sticks on it, along with the name and date of the tournament. We usually keep it full of beer all day and then go out at night with the team. I know everybody is going to continue to do this and I am just worried how I will feel bc I am not. I made a contract for myself and I can’t break it. :8ball:

2 Likes

Lot of viruses going about :wink:

8 Likes

I was just thinking how a weekend at home resting can really help get over the stomach bug they contracted. Or it could be food poisoning. Either way it’s best not to go.

4 Likes

Not sure where you are it with your sobriety but I agree it would be best not to go. I wouldn’t be able to. I know myself all to well. Id see everyone else drinking and feel the pressure and I’d end up giving in cuz what the hell 1 day won’t hurt and then I wouldn’t stop the next day and be right back where I started. I’ve pushed the reset button many times over the last 5 years and I am going to do everything in my power and ask God to do everything in his power to make sure I don’t do it again. Play the tape forward and see how it turns out. Us alcoholics always know how it will turn out.

3 Likes

Ahh l wish I could stay home. This is such a big deal for my fiancé. It’s the state tournament for pool and it only happens once a year. We have already booked a hotel room for 2 nights and I just really feel like I need to be there to support him. Thank you for all of your advice and I would totally stay home if it wasn’t such a big event in his life. I know I am strong and I can do this. Thank you!! :pray::blush:

If your mind is made up that you wont drink then dont be nervous. Cravings will come but then i just stuff my face with food

2 Likes

Hi @Simple.Clean.Living if you have a problem with alcohol then this event is really not for you…does your partner understand/ know you have an issue with alcohol? But you seem to have made your mind up about going…so I advise you to get a good plan in place so you know what you are going to do whilst you are there… how you are going to respond to pressure to drink… what alternative drink to have in place… somewhere where you can get away from the pressure of drinking so you can think clearly… maybe pop back to your hotel room for breaks or go for a walk outside…it will be tough so you will need to ultra strong…I wish you well and let us know how you get on… maybe drop a few messages to the forum whilst you are there…:grin:

4 Likes

Well that’s a good idea. Lol :joy:

@Robketts thank you for so many ideas and alternatives for these kind of situations. I definitely need to make a plan and stick to it. I will be dropping in frequently I am sure! Thank you! :blush:

2 Likes

You are responsible for YOUR happiness. Focus on the worst case scenario abd where that would leave you and your relationship with your fiance. Just my 2cents. Whatever choice you make I’m sure it will be the best one.

1 Like

Go have a good time. But don’t drink. Don’t be like the rest. Plus just think of all that money you will save by not buying beer after beer.

1 Like

Good Luck! You got this!

1 Like

In my opinion you shouldn’t go. Better a fight wit you fiance than a relapse. See if you can do something else with her. Explain to her your feelings. Maybe plan a romantic weekend with her. I mean that’s just my opinion. Hope everything goes well with you.

1 Like

If you do decide to go - as mentioned - have a plan ready to go. I have a very firm voice in my head that says “I don’t drink and that’s it”. I don’t enter into conversations about not drinking at events. Focus on the tournament, talk about anything but the drinking, get people talking about themselves! Strangely, I kind of observe other people’s drunkenness from a separate place now. Usually I am gratefully thinking “I’m so glad I’m not being a mess right now”. It takes practice - but you may just be surprised that you actually like being the clear headed, articulate, sober fun person.

2 Likes

Oh, and I would try to have an EXIT strategy - like a taxi back to the hotel?

1 Like

True. I will save tons of money! That’s a plus. And I know I can have fun without drinking. Thank you :slight_smile:

I feel like I do. Thank you!

That’s great advice. I will always need to have a plan in place before I go into events like this. I can’t wait to be clear headed and remember all the good times I am having. I can’t wait to remember all the conversations and feelings. Thanks for all the advice! :blush:

How’d it go?

It went really well. I had a plan and I stuck to it. So other than the pool team not making it very far, I would say it was a good weekend. Thanks for asking!

1 Like