Feelings after One Week Sober

My first week of sobriety is behind me. I feel like time went by quickly. I was expecting to see more of a change. I still feel dehydrated, this house is so dry. I keep waking up thinking I’m hungover, it’s so weird. I need to get to however many days it takes to create a habit. The toilet in the master bedroom is clogged & I don’t know where to find a plunger, I might have to buy one. I don’t think the toilet is use to regular :poop:.
I should probably leave the house today, that could help me feel better. I mean I feel fine. I guess I thought one full week was such a big deal, like I want a present, or someone to say you look different or idk something. I want to feel proud of myself but I’m feeling extremely emotional instead. Tons of people are sober for weeks at a time and don’t expect anything. My brain is broken. I guess this is a bad morning. I’m crying :sob:, I hate crying (unless I’m watching a lifetime movie or something).
I hope everyone else has an awesome sober Sunday.

19 Likes

One week is incredibly hard. Sure, the changes aren’t very visible yet, but you did change for the better. You’re taking care of yourself. And the hardest part is behind you now. You did good. And if you can’t be proud of yourself, know that we are

5 Likes

Thank you for the pep talk. I’ll get it together, I was having a moment… I’m SURE it’s related to not drinking.

1 Like

Thanks, you have been like my cheerleader this time around.

1 Like

I see you’re truly trying. I know how hard the first days are. If I hadnt been able to go to rehab, I’d have failed and I’d probably have ended my life by now after pushing away everyone I love. So I have tremendous respect for your strength. You’re doing this shit without rehab. That takes courage and strength. So you deserve a cheerleader.

1 Like

Congrats on one week sober!! :tada: It IS a big deal! I highly recommend some fresh air and sunshine if at all possible. Maybe take a walk? Even if you are in the frozen winter some fresh air will do wonders to elevate your mood.

1 Like

Congratulations on a full week! :partying_face:
Be kind and gentle with yourself. It takes time to get all that poinson out of your system. Stick with it and you’ll start to feel the benefits. If you’re anything like me, I want instant gratification and I get frustrated when it doesn’t happen. Just know you’re doing great and it does get better.

1 Like

I have one week today too! :heart:

4 Likes

Hiya! One week is a massive deal!! After years of abuse our bodies take time to heal, keep going one step at a time. I rewarded myself in the early days with a bit of sweet stuff, icecream was my saviour! There is a lot of sugar in booze and your body will be looking for it so have a bit of cake or chocolate making be? Also here are some facts that I read in the early days. It takes 10 days for our bodies to be completely free of alcohol. You are nearly there! That is a massive deal! It takes 66 days to make a new neuro pathway (habit) but the old pathway remains but “grasses over”. If you tread the old pathway the brain resets instantly so don’t go back! Treat yourself like you have the flu. Nice showers or baths, plenty of rest, some fresh air would be a massive benefit to you. Have you read any ‘quit lit’? The easy way to stop drinking by Allen Carr is a great read. And this makes mind by Annie Grace is fascinating, it explains how the brain works. I promise you that reading the quit literature is sooo helpful. You truly are doing an amazing thing and I and the rest of the TS family understand exactly what you are going through. Stay strong, you are not alone! :pray:t2::two_hearts: well…. When it comes to the toilet plunging you are, in that, most definitely alone!! :face_with_hand_over_mouth::joy::joy::pray:t2::two_hearts:

5 Likes

I have 12 days today wasn’t easy but getting g thru it. Take your time. I fill the time I was drinking by going to the gym watching heaps of Netflix and reading some motivating books.

6 Likes

Hey lady!

I can totally relate. Before quitting, I always felt like hungover crap, then the first week I felt like detox crap. It was different, but still crap. It took a couple of weeks before I really started feeling better.

I’m sure you’re getting your sparkle back! :grin:

Congrats on a week!!!

2 Likes

Thank you… I also don’t have weird dreams anymore I sleep so well I eat healthier. I feel better. Sometimes I get really angry but I guess it’s cuz im going through some stuff.

Remember to give yourself grace and celebrate the days you have. Try not to compare. Go out and grab a coffee or tea and journal.

2 Likes

Thank you! I DID go get a coffee! A fancy blackberry lavender white mocha latte. I NEVER do that. I need to do more things I never do.

5 Likes

And I got a pear “pop tart” while I was there.

6 Likes

Now that’s what I’m talkin bout! :raised_hands:t2::joy::drooling_face: they look delicious! :ok_hand::two_hearts:

Almost 9 days here - I felt the same way about needing a present almost. I ended up going and getting myself a present to make it feel like a giant achievement. I’m super proud of myself and so should you! Keep kicking ass!

-Liieah​:black_heart::metal:t2:

1 Like