Fell off and feel terrible

I was sober for almost 3 years recently fell off because I thought if I just socially drank i.e. football games, tailgates etc… I could handle it turns out I dont know how to stop and become embarrassing and cant remember what I said or did I’m embarrassed and ashamed that my 18 year old son had to tell me about myself because i went to far I feel hopeless alone and like a bum

5 Likes

I feel like you need to share this with others. I’m sorry for your relapse, but the testimony of sobriety you e gained as a result is important to the newcomers here. People need to know that moderation is not a plan for success. Thank you for your words!

6 Likes

Just hit that reset button! A new day is a new chance at sobriety. Wishing you all the best! Don’t let this deter you from fighting for your life! You’ve recognized the mistake and know your triggers. You got this!

4 Likes

I think it is normal for us alcoholics to convince ourselves after a period of sobriety that we can somehow control it. You did some more “research” and truly figured out that you can’t. Don’t beat yourself up over it; learn from your mistake and move forward. I appreciate you sharing this because it does reiterate the fact that no matter how long we are sober, we will never be able to control it and it’s best for us to not even pick up the first drink.

5 Likes

I’m scared to goto a meeting Idk why I just am

1 Like

I did felt like I wrote a,check for my bank balance

I kept telling myself I am different …guess not

Spot on Rob. Testimony to the fact that we can’t ever take our eyes off the ball.
Anita, well done on the 3 years. Don’t beat yourself up too much. You know what to do!!!

2 Likes

Don’t beat yourself up over it. That will cause further relapse, just move past it and get back on the wagon. We are addicts, there is no such thing as " we can do it occasionally" with our DOC.

2 Likes

Every single person is scared to go to a meeting. It doesn’t matter if it’s AA, SMART, Refuge, Celebrate Recovery, etc. It’s uncomfortable. I’d be willing to bet it’s not nearly as uncomfortable as having your 18-year old outline your behavior for you.

Shake off the shame and hopelessness. Get ready to go and take a little trip to the closest, soonest meeting in your area.

Thanks for sharing. I am glad you’re here.

4 Likes

You’re right it was more embarrassing couldnt even make eye contact. Thanks for being straight up no bullshit appreciate it.

2 Likes

Well, that was a lesson learned. Who wants to feel that shame, anxiety or disappointment again? Not me and not you I am pretty sure. You should be proud of your 3 years and remind yourself that you are human and made a mistake, one that luckily only cost self esteem (I hope). A good but painful reminder that drinking is a thing of the past. You don’t need to revisit that party, there is nothing there for you…or me.

If you do meetings, and it sounds like you have, go and do what you need to build yourself back up.

:heart:

3 Likes

I think many many of us here have made the mistake of thinking that with enough time under our belts we could have just possibly somehow become moderate drinkers.
I had a year sober before I went to my sister in laws wedding, I had a plan not to drink but got caught off guard when champagne was poured into my glass for the toast, in that second I thought I could do it. It took me precisely one day to return to my old level of drinking.
I was so disappointed in myself at the time but now I see it as a step that I needed to concrete my path into sobriety. I tested the water and found that I absolutely could not after one year and will not ever be able to moderate. At least now I know and won’t ever try it again.
Learn what you can then get up dust yourself off and jump back on the wagon

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this, I feel like its a good reminder that no matter how long we have sober we are never cured. Welcome back.

3 Likes

Same I was doing well until new years eve said I’d have a few and just couldn’t stop :persevere:

1 Like

Been there. Was sober over a year and then blamed my exwife for my drinking lol. I was wrong. Turns out it is me lol. I’m now back to 10 months as of midnight and I hopefully will never make that mistake again.

5 Likes