Fibromyalgia, anyone?

I first started drinking nightly as a means to self-medicate prior to my diagnosis of fibromyalgia. Even after being prescribed meds for fibro that helped quite a lot, I would still have flare-ups that would destroy my functionality. I have doctors who believe in the idea that the minimum amount of meds is the best approach, which I generally appreciate and agree with, but this meant they wanted me to try all sorts of non-medicated approaches to dealing with these flair-ups first. Somewhere in there, my alcoholism took off and months and months of heavy drinking almost daily followed. In the past 1-2 years of this, my flares all but disappeared. Apparently, some old studies had observed this result as well, though clearly this is a bad idea due to dependence issues.

Long story short, I am near one month sober and I’m on day two of a fibro-flare. Are there any other fibro sufferers out there with a similar experience? And, if so, what have you done to deal with the resurgence of symptoms without returning to alcohol? I just saw my rheumatologist last week when I was feeling great and I am always reluctant to go back so soon, especially since they are now aware I am in recovery.

Hi I’m sorry to hear about your condition that must be difficult to deal with to say the least.
Some one I’m close to suffers from HS and has severe pain most days.
Things she does when not drinking alcohol:-
Bee sting therapy
Acupuncture
Reiki Healing
Cannabis tincture drops

Her condition is debilitating but with a combination of the above she eases her pain in varying degrees.

1 Like

Bee sting therapy? That’s something I’ve never heard of before.

Fibromyalgia is a non-diagnosis. The pain you feel is caused by something the doctors havent6found yet. It could be infection, leaky gut, intoxication by heavy metal, allergies… you have to find out.

I have a diagnosis of lupus and fibromyalgia. Personally I feel that the fibromyalgia in my case is a result of stress. Our body can only handle stress and the by product of stress for so long before it does damage to the body. That damage comes out in a lot of ways. For me it’s pain, among other medical issues that go along with lupus. I do Pilates and yoga for low impact exercise, swimming is another great low impact exercise. I have been on lyrica but that is just enough of a high for me to trigger relapse so I have stopped that. Really, the best way to deal with pain and flare ups without triggering addiction is the non-medicine approach. In my flares I eat an anti-inflammatory diet, take baths with loads of epsom salt, do more yoga, and meditation. Insight timer is a great app for finding the meditation that’s right for you. Good luck! You are not alone. We can do this! YOU can do this.

1 Like

Have you tried infrared sauna for fibromyalgia?
I heard it can relieve the pain.

Hi Again…yes do look into bee sting therapy it’s a reliable pain treatment.