Finally accepting I can't do this alone

I admitted to my therapist that I’m an alcoholic 8 days ago. I have been binge drinking since. I had 2 days of sobriety when I told him and I was proud. Something about it finally being out there to someone besides myself just threw me into such a horrible spiral. I need to talk to people besides my therapist and have more than myself and one person to hold me accountable. I’m not ready to tell my family or my boyfriend, that’s going to take some time. My family doesn’t drink and my boyfriend very rarely does so I’m not worried about them offering me anything.

I’m rambling and I’m scared. I just need people to talk to.

13 Likes

Hey there…while you might be freaked out by it…I would say a big congratulations on coming clean about it. They say a burden shared is a burden halved.
I would imagine that you had known you had an issue for a while…telling your therapist gives you the opportunity to actually start DOING something about it, before it gets worse.

Any ideas what it was about letting them know that is causing you to drink?

1 Like

Hi! I think it was the realization that it’s out in the open now. For now, it’s only out to one person but knowing that eventually I will have to tell my parents and boyfriend freaked me out.

I can relate. After another bender and my family and me realizing a long break is needed, I reached out to half my contacts last night and said I desperately needed help. Told my two best buddies I was in recovery, told my cousins etc. last night I did a zoom AA meeting where I poured my heart out. Thankfully my cousin was on it. Between this forum and two AA meetings daily (yes, that group meets at 10am and 8:30pm daily), I’m so thankful and excited that there is hope out there. And resources of you want them. I applaud you and wish you luck on your sober journey.

3 Likes

Thank you for the kind words guys, it’s helping a lot. I’ve been on and off crying all morning and have to go to work in a few minutes. Hopefully I can find time to come on here and read some posts.

1 Like

It takes bravery to walk through the door into sobriety. You are brave! I’ve personally found that letting my loved ones know what is going on with me is very helpful, they are very helpful. The people here are amazing, we’re here for you. Welcome :pray:.

1 Like

Hi @Trudaboo, welcome. Well done on taking that massive step. Admitting that we are powerless over alcohol is hard to do but you are not alone. Be gentle with yourself. Take it one minute at a time if you have to. I’m so glad you’re here with us :pray:t2::two_hearts:

1 Like

Welcome Terese.
I tried quitting drinking over and over again on my own. Never happened. Finding this app has been a Godsend for me. For some reason, when I got on here, I hid it from my wife. I’d tell her I was on Twitter. That’s the addict in me. Eventually I came clean and told her what I was doing. She knew I was trying to quit drinking. But didn’t know I was getting help. We had a nice chat about it and she supports me. She still drinks. But this is my sobriety. This is a great place for support. I was scared at first too, but I just dove right in. Have a good read around here and join in when your comfortable. We don’t bite. Here’s a good thread I like, to be accountable, and you can definitely talk or read and reply to like minded people just trying not to pick up that first drink. The most important one. Checking in daily to maintain focus #28
You’re worth all the benefits of sobriety. None of us started out wanting to be addicts.
I hope to see you around.
:pray:t2::heart: