Finally ready to make a change

This is my first post more or less just trying to figure out how to set myself up for success to stop drinking. I don’t drink every day but one or two times a week but always to excess usually alone just around the house. I always seem to yearn for social interaction after I drink enough. So end up calling people or texting. The day after my anxiety and emotions are always in shambles. The conversations I had are always fuzzy and I feel ashamed of making those calls or text. I always seem to just blame it on being drunk. So I go a few days without drinking start feeling good energetic and start accomplishing some of my small goals, but then For some reason think it’s a good idea to grab a pizza watch a movie and drink myself stupid again. The cycle goes on and on. Every few weeks I go maybe 9-10 days with out a drink and they seem like the best days out of the month but I seem to always justify going back to drinking again some how. I’m just sick of it so today is day 1. In the past I haven’t made a concerted conscious effort to actually change my habits but this time I am going to make that a goal. I m listing out my triggers and going to try to come up with alternatives to keep me on track. I recently started trying to lose weight so I’m thinking to concentrate on that because I think junk food is one of my biggest associations with drinking. Never really tried sharing my struggles before so this is a new step for me. Well I’ll try to post daily. Thanks for reading my rambling first post. DAY 1

6 Likes

Hi, welcome to the forum :blush: you’ve made a great first step by joining. Have a good look around there’s loads of great advice here and you can use the search above to look for any questions you might have. There’s lots of ideas for making a plan to quit and stay quit and there’s always someone here you can talk to

Hi welcome to the group… reading about your drinking is the mirror image of myself… i was always able to have soba days but the nights I drank was a nightmare. I relate to the drunk calls and texts then the shame guilt the next day … best thing i ever did was reach out 4 help … i wish u the very best x

Thanks for reading through that mess. Feeling good knowing I finally made a decision to make a change. Day 1 down on to DAY 2.

You’ve found talking sober and that is the first step.

What are your plans for when that voice inside your head tells you “It’s cool. Let’s grab a pizza and have some drinks!”?? You need to have things ready before it happens…and it sureywill happen.

Welcome!!

1 Like

Keep reaching out … i was forever on here at the beginning of my recovery even if it was just to read the stories of other addicts helped me so much to realise we’re all the same … message me anytime if u need help x