First AA Meeting And scared!

I’m sitting in the parking lot of my first AA meeting. I’m so nervous. I feel like I’m going to barf. First I was nervous because there weren’t many cars here thinking it would be awkward. Now more people are showing up, and that makes me even more nervous. I’m not sure what I was expecting, but I’m surprised everyone looks so normal. That sounds awful. Getting up my courage and heading in. :pleading_face:

15 Likes

Let us know how it goes. I bet you in an hour you will feel much much different than you do now!

3 Likes

I remember my first meeting, I sat in my car and prayed. I mustered up the courage and exited my car. I walked across the long, empty lot to the steps of the church. Lugged myself up the stairs, reached out my hand and grasped the handle. With an apprehensive effort I gave a tug, and the door was locked! The meeting stopped being at that church years ago. The following day I went to another meeting and the butterflies I felt the day before were not as bad. I walked into a room with 3 or 4 others and they said Hi. I found a seat and listened for the next 90 minutes. At the end I prayed with a group of alcoholics and went on my way. It was a pretty rad day.

I hope you garner the courage to walk in, it will change your life if you allow it to. :blush:

8 Likes

I was the same way. As if I was scared that walking in would make it real. But once you accept that you’re powerless over alcohol, it makes it easier to listen to what you need to hear.

3 Likes

I was the exact same! Best decision I ever made. Let us know how it goes! :heart::heart::heart:

4 Likes

Let us know how it goes! I remember feeling shocked at how normal everyone was. I knew I was in the right place when i realised :bird:

4 Likes

It was so so good. I had a good cry on the way home. I’m just processing now. I identified with so much of what everyone was saying, which has never happened. I will definitely be going back. Thanks for the support!!

17 Likes

Yayayayayay!!! This makes me so happy :two_hearts: keep coming back!

4 Likes

That’s awesome! Keep coming back! Please look for a sponsor in the coming days who you feel comfortable with. Have a few chats! Great job!

2 Likes

I’m doing that tomorrow. My choice to go. When I went a few time last year I felt sick and nervous too. I feel like that now because tomorrow is coming quickly. And if anyone is familiar with this saying, “oh there’s always tomorrow” (but tomorrow never comes)… and we just want to forget…not anymore…I think it’s normal to feel this way. I bet you did great :slight_smile:

4 Likes