First AA meeting for a first timer

Working day 4, worked from home, the fiancés bottle sitting on the counter taunting me all day. She gets home from work and I tell her I’m struggling and am going to try a meeting. Just got home and can say I know they’ll help. Lots of religion for an atheist but I’ll shop around to find one that fits me. Nice thing about this one is it let out at 830 so I’ll only be awake another hour. Very nice people and I got two numbers of people willing to sponsor me. Fingers crossed…

17 Likes

My sponsor told me in the beginning to give a meeting a couple trys before looking for another one. It takes time to get comfortable at the tables but it is the best place for you to be. Maybe ask the fiance to put the bottle out of sight for awhile?

4 Likes

I’m a NA guy, but while in rehab, we went to a meeting every day. Some AA, some NA. Some I liked, some I didn’t. Once I got back home I went back to the ones I liked and also tried some new ones. I was surprised that a meeting at 9am and then one at 8pm in the same location could be like night and day. I preferred the evening meetings because they were a little more laid back. It’s going to depend on your personal opinion, which meeting you connect with and are the most comfortable in. Once you find one or two or three, keep going back. Miracles really do happen in the rooms.

Chad

5 Likes

My first time at a meeting and i am sold. The old timer who was having her 45th birthday as i got to celebrate my 30days told me. Keep coming back so we can love you until you learn to love yourself. That just really hit home for me. Thank you Old timer. You changed my outlook on AA all together.

14 Likes

Heck yes, good on ya.

As for the spiritual part, it is what ya make it. “Anything bigger than me.”

For a while I chose to have faith in the group. Then Tom Hanks. And why not? They all seemed to have something figured out I didn’t. :smile:

5 Likes

Keep coming back, it works if you work it.AND YOU’RE WORTH IT

2 Likes

Thats the way to do it make it easy for yourself let people who have been were you have help you well done .meetings make it easier wish you well

2 Likes

I went to a virtual meeting and I just left when it was my turn to speak maybe in person will be better that way it will be harder to leave :sob: I’m kinda disappointed in myself ):

1 Like