First day again

Hey everyone.

I’m not sure why I’m posting this… I’ve been battling this addiction to alcohol for a while now. Yesterday I fell off the wagon big time again. I’ve been steadily drinking more and more, lying more and more, hiding more and more…

My relationship with my fiancee is on the verge of collapse and I’m losing this fight and I’m losing everything.

Today, I’m sober and I’m glad to be sober but I don’t know how long I’ll be able to do that for. I’m scared of failing again.

3 Likes

Never let fear of failure stop you from fighting for what you want and what’s best for you.

I’m sorry that you’re struggling, friend. I have been there myself, many times – sames goes for probably everyone else here. You’re posting here because you recognized that you’re slipping and need support. That is to be commended.

Welcome to the community. I joined about 3 weeks ago, and it’s been nothing short of tremendous. There’s a great deal of wisdom here. My offering is a favorite quote of mine. Think of it next time you’re considering drinking:

“I always regret drinking. I never regret not drinking”.

Give yourself a gift. Stay on the path. Give yourself a chance for a better life: a life of freedom. No more undue guilt, no more shame. You CAN do it.

8 Likes

Congratulations on today being won! you recognized your patterns and you are taking a huge step to change. Embrace it.

Fear, …
Fear is a good thing. Fear reminds us that we have something worth loosing. So don’t see fear as a negative. This is an opportunity to change.

You got this. I believe in you. Now, you just have to believe in yourself!

3 Likes

Congratulations on being here! It’s a big step to be honest with yourself and get support. Check in everyday and remind yourself that alcohol is not worth losing relationships and respect for yourself. You can do this! Stay strong.

2 Likes

I doubt there is one among us who didn’t fail many times before finally getting sober. We are alcoholics - it just goes with the territory. But - as my sponsor reminds me, relapse is not inevitable. Everyone finds their own path to sobriety. I tried for years to moderate, take a break, quit…whatever…only to drink again after a few days. Toward the end, I promised myself every morning that I would not drink - and hated myself as I drank my first glass that evening. I had to surrender to the fact that I cannot drink like normal people. For me, I have to go to AA to stay sober. I need daily reminders of why I cannot drink, and I need the fellowship of those who have been there. This app is also incredibly valuable. So much collective wisdom here…

I know it sounds next to impossible, especially when you have tried before. The only thing you have to do today is not take the first drink. If you start to pick up, check in here. Know that we are behind you, believing that you can do it.

1 Like

I’m also trying again… it’s my second day now. I’ve tried so many times and I’m scared, too. But we mustn’t give up if we want to be happy!

Same here, also scared. Beginning again and 1.5 days sober. I don’t want to lose this fight. We are better than this.

2 Likes

I just wanted to say thank you again to everyone for your kind words and support. I did slip again but since my last slip on 3rd July, I’ve remained abstinent.

I managed a week under my own power and as a result I’ve now been prescribed Antabuse which is really helpful having that deterrent.

So I’m now 12 days sober and really happy.

1 Like