First day and a break up

It’s my first day. I have an alcohol addiction. I’m also going through a breakup with someone else who has an alcohol addiction. They’re in the process of moving out and ooofff seeing all their stuff is real hard when you’re trying to resist the drink.

Anyways, if y’all got any advice for sobriety while going through a huge and sad life event - I would love to hear. My best to all who read.

18 Likes

My advice do AA meetings or come to coummitiy chat

3 Likes

Do whatever you can to distract yourself. I know it’s trite but time really does improve things. Feel free to come here and ask for help whenever. Im sure someone is always online. AA could help as well. Just keep your head-up and don’t give in to that demon.

2 Likes

37 days sober off alcohol. It is absolutely worth it. The bs you’re gonna go through. If you feel the need or urge to drink what I do that’s worked is close my eyes and just sit there and say “no I’m not that person anymore” it’s a angel and devil on your shoulder moment. Don’t let the devil you hear tell you how to live your life. Hot shower or sauna to sweat all alcohol out and ease the pain of transition. The loss you may feel. Or feeling like it’s not worth it and to pick it back up dont. You are worth it. You can do it.

5 Likes

Distraction.
Find an old hobbie or try a new one.
Talk even its on here
Find a programme that suits you as your not alone.
Be kind to yourself
Take the time to find out who you are.
Know that craving is just a thought, you dont have to act on it.
And as hard as it might feel right now on ending a relationship it gives you the time to focus on you.

4 Likes

I’m sorry you’re going through that. I’m on day 6 and just went through one too. Let’s be strong and learn from the advice of this feed (: thanks for sharing

6 Likes

Best advice I had:

There is nothing a drink won’t make worse.

I said it to myself constantly as I approached moments when I wanted to pick up a drink.

Congratulations on Day 1 !

9 Likes

Podcasts! Get some comfy headphones and listen to some speakers.

If I may suggest, start here and bounce around. I’ll bet there’s some pretty good stuff in there =)

btw welcome to TS both you and @Amy012

3 Likes

Thank you @GrnOtterPop trying to embrace all that is beneficial to recovery. Ps I too am from Northern California. Hope you’re enjoying the weather

2 Likes

@RedBalloon Sorry about the first day. It shouldn’t have been as bad as it was for you. Did you manage to stay away or did you embrace the temptations. It’s okay. A lot of people here have tried and failed. I have done so myself many times. There is no shame except the shame we attribute to ourselves. We usually judge ourselves the most harshly. What matters is that you keep coming back here. Just post here, reply to some other post. It will make the pain lesser. Welcome and I hope your first post won’t be the last we’ll see.

2 Likes

My first day involved court and child services… we didn’t even get to see the kids, it wasn’t a picnic, but it was a start.

All you gotta do is start.

Don’t drink today, and you’re doing it. Never a reason to drink, only an excuse pal, if I can get sober then you sure as hell can too.

4 Likes

Hey man I made an account just to reply to this!! I recently went through the same thing myself and you are absoultely on the right track, once you recognize the problem only then can you defeat it, I am 47 days sober and ive already regained so many things that I forgot that I love, I know how it feels to live in the empty home with half of the things around that were once there being gone. For me it was finally deciding that I do not want to react to the trauma like my old self would have, wich would be straight to the bar or straight to a path of destruction, use this as a chance to better yourself and you will see a difference. One fucking day at a time dude the road is long and there are going to be bumps, but if you want the change enough you will make it, I know today might be tough but trust me it does get better with time, just accept the fact that the past cannot be changed, but the future is completely in your control :heart:

3 Likes

The Bubble hour is a great podcast I listen to it eventually day in the Uk it’s so good . Also like the Naked Mind stuff too and now I will try the Recovery Elevator too so thanks for that !

2 Likes

Check out love sober as well, it’s a UK podcast that I find really helpful

1 Like

Breakups are so difficult. I drank all through my last major one and it turned a difficult situation into a dreadful one because when I’m drunk I’m much more likely to not hold back, and a lot of the fear and sadness I was feeling came out as anger.

Wishing you all the best

1 Like

I like this mantra you provide here. Thank you for sharing this. I’ll use this.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing as well, Amy. I am sorry to read that you’re going through the heart hurts alongside this too. Solidarity

1 Like

Another great mantra. There’s nothing a drink won’t make worse. I’ll add this to my repertoire. Thank you

1 Like

Thank you for these kinds words. I’ve tried and failed many times before, too. That old monkey mind seeks to be numb and/or brave.

I didn’t drink. I barricaded myself in my office and listened to music a whole lot and cried enough my eyes are puffy this morning. But I didn’t drink. One day at a time, right?

1 Like

Thank you for sharing part of your story with me. I am sorry you experienced that.

1 Like