First day attempting true sobriety

I’m 27 and have been drinking since high school. I’ve consistently struggled with sobriety and having a normal life, once I moved away from my parents at the age of 24 I have done much better. I stopped blacking out as much and could keep a job longer than a year, I was never too broke and always found a way to hold myself together without embarrassing myself too often. I have been struggling with taking a step forward to find help because I guess I never really found it as a threat to my life until now. Not only do I want to save money and move forward but I want to start building relationships with my friends, coworkers and significant others so I can finally force myself to start a real life not surrounded by mystery and embarrassment. I have never given myself a real opportunity to be great because I grew up being consistent disappointment to my parents, who were incredibly abusive and neglected my sisters and I for a majority of our lives.

8 Likes

I’m not new to trying sobriety, but I am new to this app and find it so helpful. Know it’s a tough journey and if you make a mistake don’t be too hard on yourself, the end result will be so worth it!

2 Likes

You’ve made an excellent choice. It probably won’t be easy, but every day sober will be a day you can be proud of. You mentioned that one of your goals is to improve your relationships. That has been a major benefit of my sobriety.

Best of luck! You can do this. All you have to do is not drink. Wishing you the best :heart:

1 Like

Thank you so much! I am very lonely…
I was actually doing quite well and wasn’t worried about sobriety up until I had a really rough breakup with an ex, that is dragging out our breakup. I had one of the most manic days on Saturday, started binge drinking and embarrassed myself at my favorite restaurant. I live in a small city and work in the hospitality industry so I’ve been cringing since Saturday and wondering where I went wrong.
I don’t want to be this messy and I want to be happy.

1 Like

“What you do today can change all your tomorrows”. This quote helped me to not dwell on all the embarrassing, sad drunken moments and start focusing on changing my life one day at a time. Especially as each day is a battle. I’ve fallen a lot, but remember how good I feel when I’m sober.

2 Likes

It’s always a threat to your life to black out. How any stars died this way? Very happy you came to your senses. You never have to drink again. Give it 30 days and see the improvements to your life and health. Get help even if it’s just your doctor. I got on Wellbutrin and it helped some.

1 Like

I am finding it really difficult to just quit forever. The thought of forever when I really love the experience of a lovely bottle of wine or sake or a great cocktail before dinner. But I know it leads to me binging, and acting like a fool or putting myself in despicable situations… I have to start counting at least the money I save while I decide on making this decision forever. Maybe that will keep me sober and eventually I’ll start realizing the true benefits of complete sobriety.

Hey man! Firstly I want to say WELCOME! This is the best decision you can make for yourself right now. I have to say your story hits home for me in a big way. I fully understand the feeling of being damaged by abuse and neglect and i too am on my first journey to getting fully sober. I struggle mainly with Cannibis and i smoked it for about 10 years like everyday…literally. I just want you to know everyone here is struggling too, but we have all realised the importance of getting sober and are all here to support you. Come here as often as U have to to fight for ur sobriety. You are an amazing human being and u deserve to live your life to its full potential! Just wanted to say a big welcome, congratulations for this amazing decision and God bless your journey! 🕇 Message me anytime if you need someone to talk to - or even just use the chat box there is always someone ready to listen here. WELL DONE AND WELCOME :grin::grin::grin:

3 Likes

Just worry about quitting for today. No one can quit forever in just one day, but we can all do it for just today.

2 Likes

Hi and welcome. What happened on Saturday is in the past… leave it there. Nothing you can do about that now apart from learn from it. Your only 27 and youve got a whole new life out there to enjoy. I wish i learned my mistakes at that age. Im 45 and boy have i had some cringing episode’s over the years!!!. Remember how drinking makes you feel when your brain tries to tell u different… ohh i can handle this… 1 wont hurt… Been there a million times and it does hurt. Nothing changes from that very first drink. Please believe that ! You dont want anymore time waisted on regrets and shame. I know the thought of never drinking again is well too scary but u cant think of any other day apart from today/this moment in time. . Im coming up 11 months without a drop now and never want to look back. I now love the feeling of never again. Time will also give you that freedom. . Please work on today only and tomorrow will take care of itself… Today i will not drink and just repeat. 1 day/moment at a time. I wish you well :grin::four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

You can’t change the past. But you can change the future!! Focuse on that!!
Don’t think about never drink again, just don’t drink today. That’s enough to deal with and it’s doable.

2 Likes