First day done

Hi I had my last drink on Sunday evening. I decided not to taper as I’ve tried this many times and I end up drinking heavily as I can’t seem to do moderation. I have been drinking excessively for years but have managed to function. I hate drinking yet I still find myself doing it everyday. I am not physically dependent (I have no idea how!) And have managed to stop several times for short periods over last 30 years. Longest ever was 100 days and I felt great but thought I could then go back to it once a week…not possible I immediately went back to drinking every evening. I recently turned 50 and don’t want to live with the paranoia and anxiety that drinking brings anymore.Not sure what to do with myself last night went to bed at 8pm to resist temptation!Thanks for listening. Here’s to day 2!!

41 Likes

Well done on getting through that first day Lilly!

The evenings feel like they go on forever when they’re not turned into a hazy mush by alcohol don’t they? Going to bed early was a great idea. Do whatever it takes in these first few days especially. I hit up about 4 online aa meetings a day in the first week.

2 Likes

Welcome here Lily and congrats on your decision! Good you’re recognizing you can’t moderate and are acting accordingly now. I’m glad to have you aboard as it’s strength in numbers and the more here the better. I hope you’ll find this forum just as useful as I do. Read, comment, post, support and be supported! We do it together here. All success in your journey and welcome again.

3 Likes

Thank you :blush:

2 Likes

Well done Lilly keep it up , we are behind you

1 Like

Thank you :blush: it was nice not to have a massive hangover this morning. I need to hold on to that feeling

7 Likes

Welcome. Im so glad 2 hear that your ready for a healthy change. Sobriety has been the most fulfilling journey. It not easy, but its worth it. You’ll find so much love and support here :heart:
Hope 2 see more of you. Your SIS ( SISTER IN SOBRIETY )

3 Likes

Welcome here Lily 🙋
Well if you turn 100 some day and you keep up like this you will be half of your life sober! :sweat_smile:
Stick around, read loads and ask for help when you need it: we’re all here for you :heart:

2 Likes

Ha ha love it!

1 Like

Thanks! Love the SIS!! I have already found so much positivity and support here :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Congrats on your first day! I also found my sleeping schedule changed and i now go to bed and get up early af. If you can try doing some exercise each morning before your day starts. It really does help alot.

2 Likes

Thank you! I was dreading last night and so proud I did it as been saying everyday since December I was going to. I love running ( how on earth I have run with a hang over for so long I will never know) so plan to get up and out and start the day right each day. Also trying to drink a gallon of water a day to flush the toxins as quickly as possible :blush:

2 Likes

Thank you!

Hi Lilly! Glad your here. What you wrote summed me up perfectly. The drinking every day even when we didn’t want it. Boredom was a big trigger for me. Learning new hobbies, exercising, reading helps with that. Going to bed early has saved me a couple times also. Just keep telling yourself that today I’m not drinking. We’ll worry about tomorrow when it gets here :blush:

1 Like

Excellent! Day 1 is behind you. Going to bed early is a great idea. Avoiding temptation and self care all wrapped up in one. You got this!

1 Like

Good plan! I am loving the app. It is encouraging to see the hours tick by. Just wish I could fast forward these first few days x

2 Likes

Thank you. Its great to be here and I’m feeling positive x

2 Likes

Love you reaching out @Lilly50 and love the support you are getting!! I will join you in being sober today!!

2 Likes

Welcome Lilly!! Well done on your first day. I found reading a lot on here at night helped me in those early days. It’s all about changing routines in my opinion. Find things you enjoy to fill that time when you normally drink.

2 Likes

Hi Lily :kissing_closed_eyes:
When I read your story it seemed like you was describing me! It’s my second day too :heart: and I also went to bed around 9pm because I was so tired and I wanted to stop myself from go to shop
I woke up today and did exercises, ate dinner, drank coffee
Evenings are worst ones but keep going love! We can do it together!
If you are craving for % then go to kitchen and cook nice meal and enjoy it:)

2 Likes